Search Unity

My project was on my PC (which broke)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Endls, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Endls

Endls

My project that i was working on for school was on my PC, but had just today it had broke which has set me back a lot as my deadline for my coursework is in two weeks, is there any way i can retrieve it?
    I have it here on my account:
    upload_2019-1-27_22-31-17.png
    But it is not on my projects on the unity application:
    upload_2019-1-27_22-32-3.png

Am i completely f*cked?

2. ikazrima

ikazrima

I'm assuming it's your PC that's broken and not your project?
    If the storage disk is still working then unplug it and connect it to another machine.

3. Murgilod

Murgilod

Did you not set up any form of version control or backup?

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

What you have done here is learn a very important lesson about version control and backups. And by the looks of it, that's going to be more important then whatever the school has taught you.

Gekigengar, SamohtVII, Teila and 6 others like this.
  5. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

on your new pc install just do git clone and then git checkout, because surly you have version control?

6. Endls

Endls

https://git-scm.com/ would i use this website to do so?

7. Endls

Endls

Sadly not

8. Endls

Endls

I am going to attempt that when i get home later

9. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

It was a subtile joke that you should have used versioning, its too late now. But in the future use git. For example visualstudio.com have free repos.

xVergilx likes this.
  10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Most likely. Your best bet at this point is to talk to the instructor and see what options you have.

11. Billy4184

Billy4184

You can easily get stuff from a hard disk if that's not the part that 'broke'. My laptop smoked the other day, I just pulled out the hard disk, grabbed a USB to SATA adapter and got everything I wanted off it.

12. Murgilod

Murgilod

Always have a backup, always use version control. You learned this the worst way possible but at least you have.

13. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Just what do they teach at these schools anyway?

This is why you shouldn't go to school for "game development." You should learn real work first, where safety and risk management are the first things you learn before you do anything.

Going forward, make sure you always have a plan for stuff like this. Have a primary location for backup. This can be your hard drive. The hard drive is a self contained part separate from other parts of the computer. So if one part goes down, all hope is not lost. My computer was "broke" in an earthquake recently. But only the motherboard had to be replaced. So all my information is still safely contained within the hard drives.

Then you need an alternate location for backup. This is your git repository (this might actually be your primary, and local disk space is alternate, if you are working collaboratively). Then you need a contingency. The can be an online cloud, or an external hard drive. It does take discipline to continually update three separate locations as you build on your work, but that's the difference between a bozo and a professional. Discipline.

Three separate locations, so you never have to ask the question, "am I F***ed?"

No worries though. We all learn it the hard way. Just dissappointing that you have to come here for help when you are paying for people to teach you this stuff.

14. Endls

Endls

This is for my computer science coursework, my teacher is useless we were just told to make a application of some sort and follow the mark scheme and question.

15. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

some people you have to poke to get them to do their work.

ask the teacher about common practices for version control and backup, and data recovery. you can pay money, but ultimately your education comes down to you. so don't let anything keep you from getting the best.

16. Ryiah

Ryiah

He hasn't straight up told us that he's in a college-level school. He could very easily be a high school student. That said my local community college was very hit and miss for the handful of classes I took there. Some instructors were good while other instructors were just bad.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  17. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

yeah, that's true. and one bad teacher doesn't mean a bad education. And there are great teachers too. But as a whole, I think majority of these institutions are a scam or at least not a worthy investment. And nothing upsets me more than loser also-ran's preying on young peoples naivete. Lazy bums just collecting paychecks and doing the minimum. It's evil. Nothing is more important than the children.

That's why I rant about it any chance I can.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Github offers free private repos now too.

19. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Well vs.com have much, much larger ones

Deleted User likes this.
  20. Ryiah

Ryiah

Only 1 GB though.

Deleted User likes this.
  21. xVergilx

xVergilx

Gitlab is private, 10GB & free for small teams.

angrypenguin likes this.
  22. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

We used gitlab, but grew out of the 10 gb pretty quick. But git is git, just to push the local repo to visualstudio.com and history and everything went with it. Gotta love it.

xVergilx likes this.
  23. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

1) Pull disk from broken laptop
    2) Put disk into external USB drive enclosure
    3) Plug drive enclosure into new laptop
    4) Copy project from old drive to new laptop
    5) Profit!

Ony likes this.
  24. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

25. Zo_ey

Zo_ey

Backup, back, backup....that's the one mantra I learnt from my seniors. There was a point when I was close to crying when my project just kept running into trouble after trouble. Borrowing the title, A Series of Unfortunate Events, for those months of my life would be perfect. I thought I would never get past the Fundamentals of Information Science, until I actually did. In retrospect, with some maturity, I realize that I had not practiced that mantra from my seniors. Life's lessons learnt well.

Teila likes this.