Search Unity

My models

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by caseyboundless, Jan 6, 2012.

1. caseyboundless

caseyboundless

I am new to modeling. But, I'm leading a team in the collab section .

I'll post my new stuff once i get better.

(edit)

First Sword just used material/diffuse no texture

bridge

my shield is new

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  2. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

To be honnest its horrible :D but still you will get better in time :)(this is in no way a negitive my first model was just six cubes put together to make a guy)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  3. EISOBAX

EISOBAX

what is your role in your team ?

4. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

CaseyBoundlessStudio:

For a first time effort it looks great!

Keep it up and you'll get even better.

5. larvantholos

larvantholos

No matter what, you can define success (in that your model looks ok) if someone can look at it, and immediately tell what it is. I thought it was a chest, at first glance, so, excellent. Take some time and learn a bit of texturing and you'll turn even a simple prop like that into something excellent.

6. Salim

Salim

I think this is a good start. I would suggest to first get a reference image and just try to replicate it in 3D. And also pay attention to the details for your textures, add wear and tear etc. Keep it up!

7. xzile40

xzile40

I tried blender... and maya. god I suck at both. I tried to move a box and only moved part of it, tried to fix it and then messed it all up. D:

Better than what I can do in blender, i'll tell you that much. I'm decent with autocad, but things don't tend to export well from acad2006, lol.

nice little chest for a start, keep practicing :)

8. Demostenes

Demostenes

My first model was fully detailed model of Titanic, 1M poly in year 1999.

9. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

meh that's nothing, I didn't know any modeling but this one day
    I was walking near a studio and all of a sudden James Cameron
    appeared out of nowhere and made me single-handedly make
    all of the environments for Avatar3D. So after I was done
    I pulled up to the house at bout seven or eight,
    I yelled to the cabbie 'Yo home, smell ya later!'
    I looked at my kingdom,I was finally there!
    To sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air!

10. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

^^ This...

But, CaseyBound, keep at this man...you are going to be great at this...just keep working at it...

11. caseyboundless

caseyboundless

Thanks everyone. Eisobax. I am the game director/ terrain/ learning to model also. on Team Boundless.

12. caseyboundless

caseyboundless

13. EISOBAX

EISOBAX

for your first model, it looks great, you have made one very good step and that is texturing, most people these days only model and dont texture wich is a bad thing, becouse textures are a very important step into making a good model, also if you can unwrap id suggest you bake some AO into your model it makes it looks alot better, and like a guy above me said, use reference, but either way looks very good for your first model, keep it up and good luck.

14. caseyboundless

caseyboundless

Thanks I'll look up baking AO.

15. TehWut

TehWut

Thisthisthisthis!

also it's pretty good for a beginner! just keep chugging along, and follow some topo guidelines. Your on you're way to texturing too! it looks nice! but yes I agree baking some ambient occlusion does help.

16. larvantholos

larvantholos

Definitely spend a little time studying popcans some more. While you have the basic shape, a few pointers to get you further -
    First, the faces faceting (you know, where all those squares seem to be rough?) you can fix this by editing the smoothing groups or, having unity calculate the smoothing when you export it (which might be easier).

Secondly, note on a popcan, there is a lip at the top, so it goes in, and then it goes back down - this helps to sell that it is a popcan. You get a similar, but different one on the bottom too.

Thirdly, you need to be able to drink from the can, so you need a tab on the top - and something to make it seem like it could open. You can either model, or texture (or do both) - to make this look more like a pop can.

As others have said, texturing your models are a good thing, and you get points for doing that :)

17. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

With whatever 3D application your using, try to find a manual or video training course that explain's all of the tools.
    If your starting modelling, as apparent here, help yourself and go with Blender. If you know Blender, then you know Max and Maya. There's tons of manuals and training courses for Blender, and it's the easiest polygonal modeler out there. Also give Luxology's Modo a try.

18. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Realy? i beg to differ, silo 3d, wings 3d etc are all much easyer(IMO).

19. caseyboundless

caseyboundless

I'm not done with the soda model. Hints WIP. I need to rotate the model. Top is the bottom. The lid part is on the other side. Your actually looking at the bottom with the logo in the wrong spot. I also need to make a texure hole in the can for drinking.

I didn't get to finish it today. Will Sunday or today if i have time.

20. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Titanty: I think you are correct re: the ease of an app like wings3d, but I'd say (having taken this approach myself) that learning Blender is learning a top ranked 3D app. There are easier packages and more user friendly packages like wings3d, sketchup or cheetah, but they lack in the robustness that Max, Maya or Blender have. I'm a fan of jumping in and learning in the deep end. Blender is a fully powerful modeling and animating package. When I first started with unity I touched on wings3d, cheetah and blender having had some minimal Lightwave experience in the late 90's doing previz - and I felt hampered by the lack of functionality in all but Blender. If you are seriously serious, I'd take a stab at blender. And it's free!

21. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

You are proboly right however i think blender is over complicated, max and maya seem to be far more userfriendly, i generaly do all my modeling in wings then if i need to sculpt/ animate ill use a external program i think its unnessicery to put all those features in one program.

I am perfectly serious about my modeling and wanto be a game dev in the future(mainly modeling, right now just a hobby as im still at at school) and i must say blender just wooosh strait over my head, its far harder to learn blender then learning unityscript and c# in my opinion :D

22. ivanzu

ivanzu

But they don't have features that blender has.

23. rik338

rik338

Don't forget that Blender also is a game engine itself.

24. ivanzu

ivanzu

Actually its not true when it comes to speed its much faster to do everything in one program.

25. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

They however are still polygonal modelers, also its realy just a matter of oppinion i find that its far quicker using the simplest of many programs like this Wings, SculpTris, unity for sculting as i think that blender is just a crap program that dose everything crap modeling, crap animating, crap sculpting i find it better to use efficant tools. if i wasent broke i would go Maya, Zbrush, unity pro

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION :D IT DOSENT MEEN THAT IT IS CORRECT FOR YOU JUST WHAT I THINK(just wanted to make that clear)

26. ivanzu

ivanzu

Blender is actually one of the best programs that you can get for free.Its animation system was used in spiderman movies and many others.Its sculpting tools are pretty advanced and most of peoples that were using "pro" programs like 3dsmax and maya switch to blender.This is just my opinion so don't get insulted.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  27. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Really Nice Can, CaseyBoundlessStudio!

It probably doesn't matter which package you use as long as you are comfortable with it. If you feel limited, switch!

What's next in the pipeline?

28. caseyboundless

caseyboundless

I'll make a sword.

29. caseyboundless

caseyboundless

Update on soda can. :)

30. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

The soda can looks great now :D

31. caseyboundless

caseyboundless

Thank you titanty

32. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Casey: I know this is a Blender tutorial, and may be a little dated, but I like to make sure people know about it as it's a completely different approach to modeling: http://www.rab3d.com/tut_blender.php

It's from the engineer's point of view where one is trying to make precision models. It's very much worth taking a look at. Having had no previous experience in Blender, this was my output from the tutorial:

33. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

You can model in Blender as long as you can change edit mode from object mode. It does essentially everything from high res AO bakes, high poly to low poly conversion, backface rendering, and has one of the easiest UV tools I've seen besides Modo.

34. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

35. larvantholos

larvantholos

Definitely looks like a soda can now. Not sure whats up with your viewport view tho, kinda looks a bit warped, IE 2d.

Little Angel - Nice blender tutorial.

36. caseyboundless

caseyboundless

37. landon912

landon912

Idk what your using but for beginners I strongly suggest you use blender. It's free and there is a website call Blender Guru and it's awesome www.blenderguru.com

38. landon912

landon912

39. caseyboundless

caseyboundless

new model . first sword

40. caseyboundless

caseyboundless

41. caseyboundless

caseyboundless

New model Bridge