Search Unity

My material loses color in scene

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by kromblite, Feb 16, 2019.

1. kromblite

kromblite

Trying my hand at creating my own textures and bump maps. Most of my textures are rendering great, and I'm pretty happy with them.
    My grass, though, seems to be rendering as greyscale. If I zoom up really close to it, I can see some greenish tints, but for the most part it's just silvery, even though the albedo map is green and brown.

Does anyone know what's happening here? And how can I fix it?

[edit- apparently images aren't showing up in my post, so here's a direct link to the screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/xWE2rmm]

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Its tough to see, but is it possible the combination of metallic + too much normal map presence is having too great an effect on the end-result? What happens when you remove metallic (go full diffuse) and/or remove/lower the normal map?

3. kromblite

kromblite

Metallic is set to 0, and I just tried setting smoothness to 0 with no effect. However, if I remove the normal map, that seems to fix the problem, in the sense that the texture is no longer grey.

So apparently it's the normal map causing the issue. That being said, this is gonna look pretty ugly without a normal map, is there any way to figure out why the map's doing this so I can fix it?

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

The combination of Specular Highlights + Normal map + Metallic alpha is probably the culprit. The highlights are well, just that, the metallic effect makes the highlights even stronger, and the normal map + the complexity of it puts the highlights everywhere which is not reprisentative of grass, rather closer to a metallic chrome effect on a scratched/worn surface.

Try the following settings (image below) and start with tweaking the Smoothness slider untill you find the rough effect you are looking for. Then you can play around with some settings untill you get exactly what you want. Keep in mind that it is easy to overdo normal maps, so 1 might not be the best setting for you.

Anyway, good luck! And dont forget to have loads of fun :D .

Naamloos.png

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2019
  5. kromblite

kromblite

After some experimenting, I figured out that when changing a bump map to a normal map, Unity expects you to have imported a normal map from the start, and that to use a bump map, there's actually a "create from greyscale" option.
    Still not perfect, but it's WAY better than what I had before.

Thanks for the help!

Deleted User likes this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oef yeah, that will do it too. That possibility didnt even cross my mind, sorry... And gl hf!