Search Unity

My mac build won't run and doesn't produce errors, how come?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by mwfelker, Apr 13, 2014.

1. mwfelker

mwfelker

Hey Everyone,

After many hours of research, I am in need of the community's brain. I am building a game with Unity 4.3 on Windows 7, creating standalone builds for Windows and Mac. My PC builds work perfectly.

When I build to Mac and try to run the app, it fails without any error log or system message. I can see the app start up, the title bar changes and then it quits.

Things I've tried so far:

• Permissions: I've seen a lot of posts about permissions. None of these suggestions worked
    • Sharing the Build: I've tried sharing my mac build by zipping / rarring / and straight up file transfer but get the same result
    • Looking for issues the Player.log but no errors are being logged (probably since the application never fully boots up to start logging)

The Mac I'm testing on is an Intel i5 running OSX 10.9.2. When running this app from the command line, I get the following output:

Code (csharp):
    2. ./Client_Campfire_v1.0.4.app/Contents/MacOS/Campfire
    3. Mono path[0] = '/Users/sam/Desktop/Client_Campfire_v1.0.4.app/Contents/Data/Managed'
    4. Mono config path = '/Users/sam/Desktop/Client_Campfire_v1.0.4.app/Contents/Data/Managed/etc'
    5. PlayerConnection initialized from /Users/sam/Desktop/Client_Campfire_v1.0.4.app/Contents/Data (debug = 0)
    6. PlayerConnection initialized network socket : 0.0.0.0 55290
    7. Multi-casting "[IP] 192.168.1.107 [Port] 55290 [Flags] 3 [Guid] 3008285799 [EditorId] 2268003258 [Version] 1048832 [Id] OSXPlayer(blob.local) [Debug] 1" to [225.0.0.222:54997]...
    8. Waiting for connection from host on [192.168.1.107:55290]...
    9. Timed out. Continuing without host connection.
    10. Using monoOptions --debugger-agent=transport=dt_socket,embedding=1,defer=y,address=0.0.0.0:56799
    11. PlayerConnection already initialized - listening to [192.168.1.107:55290]
    12. Warning: Could not find any matching devices, thus iterator creation failed.
    After I get that from the terminal, the app crashes and the terminal becomes free again. Can someone please throw me a bone and let me know why it crashes? Is there something stupid that I'm missing like a setting or configuration?

Thanks!

2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

3. SambaS

SambaS

Hi Max,

I'm stuck here with the same issue. Did you solve it by then ?

4. mwfelker

mwfelker

Hey Graham and Samba S,

Thanks so much for the replies. I reached out a good friend, Will Goldstone from Unity and he recommended this:

Sounds really weird but on the face of it without looking at your project all I can think is that something isn't initialising. So step 1 would be disabling third party plugins until it works, then back tracking. If it's not that - my question is has it ever worked as a mac build and if so what features did you add since? Keep me posted dude!

I took his recommendation and found that a third party plugin (Coherent UI) was causing issue. I continued to remove objects from the scenes until it worked.

Start with your scene and start removing objects one by one. Build, test, rinse and repeat until your build works. At that point you can figure what exactly is causing the issue.

Let me know if you need help, I like to pay it forward.

Graham-Dunnett likes this.
  5. SambaS

SambaS

Hi there,

I just found where I (or Unity ) did wrong. Since last upgrade from 4.3 to 4.5 I found the option " Mac App Store Validation" in the build settings checked. Which is odd because I never touched this. Anyway, I unchecked it and now as the app is not looking for a validation any more, everything is working as expected.
    Thanks for the feedback.

6. IconGroup

IconGroup

Thank you SambaS! That's exactly the info I needed!!