Search Unity

My lit colours in HDRP are all grey unless I make the material metallic

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by JoshGoodwin, Aug 4, 2021.

1. JoshGoodwin

JoshGoodwin

Hi there! I recently upgraded a project of mine to HDRP from the built-in renderer. When I made the upgrade, everything came across properly and the game ran well, it's just that all of my colours were grey. Now, they are all set to "Lit" and I've tried using the Upgrade to HD materials that Unity has but it made to change. The only way that I can see any colour at all is by making the material metallic but this makes my game not look too great. Any ideas on how I could fix it? Thanks in advance

- Josh

(To possibly clear up confusion, all of my materials are now grey unless I make them metallic. Only happened once I changed my project from the built-in renderer to HDRP)

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

A screenshot of what's happening would make things clearer.

Do you have realtime lights in the scene?

3. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, did you had local reflection probes in the scene?

Having colorless material can be due to the global sky reflection leaking onto all objects in the scene, especially interiors.

4. MathewHI

MathewHI

I’m glad I came across this because this is happening to me as well, I just thought that’s the HDRP worked was to increase the metallic to get color. I wish I would have started the project in HDRP because it seems like converting a project has more potential for problems.

5. MathewHI

MathewHI

All the colors are gray, I know because it’s happening to me too. Only when the metallic of the material is increased to about half way up the slider do the colors look they are supposed to.

6. MathewHI

MathewHI

How would you stop the global sky reflection?

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Add local reflection probes, also try adding lights.

MathewHI likes this.
  8. MathewHI

MathewHI

Thank you sir, adding lights worked.

9. JoshGoodwin

JoshGoodwin

What type of light did you add and did you have to make any changes to the light (settings etc.)

10. MathewHI

MathewHI

I just added Area lights with default settings.

11. JoshGoodwin

JoshGoodwin

Hi there. I don't have any in my scene. If I add a probe, do I need to make any changes to the probe once it is in the scene or will leaving it as the default work?

12. JoshGoodwin

JoshGoodwin

Thanks for the reply! It didn't work for me unfortunately :(

13. JoshGoodwin

JoshGoodwin

Hi there, I've tried adding both of these and neither worked. Do you have any other ideas that may work?

14. MathewHI

MathewHI

Not sure what your scene looks like a pic might help but is the light actually shining down onto the object?

15. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Again, a screenshot or two might help. Maybe show the lights in the scene. There are only so many guesses I can make with "things look grey".