Search Unity

My Insomnia Presents: The eXcons

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by drewradley, May 9, 2012.

1. drewradley

drewradley

First, let me apologize to those of you who misread it as X-com. It has no relation to that game. The eXcons is an action superhero RPG using the Unity game engine and the Okashi Role Playing Kit (ORK) and a healthy dose of my own scripting. Okay, maybe more like a wee bit but I like to inflate my own ego.

Basically, this is an expanded version of the prototype RPG I posted in the small WIP thread. I think this one is large enough to merit its own thread, but maybe not. I intend to expand this into a full-fledged RGP. Right now, there are two small quests and one "puzzle". I will also be porting this demo to Android soon.

Comments and suggestions welcomed and encouraged! I know it ain't perfect and there are a few little issues such as the movement marker often points to places other than the floor (have not figured out how to fix that - it's the default ORK tap to move controller. Left click to move, right click to attack. edit: forgot to mention; Space pauses combat and allows you to use powers. Escape calls the menu. You can heal yourself with "First Aid" under Talents/Everyman Skills. You can use it over and over from the menu if you wish. That will be changed later.

In any case, here is the web player and some images from the game.

http://drewradley.com/prototype/WebPlayer/theExcons/WebPlayer.html

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  2. PixelWyrm

PixelWyrm

Pretty good job so far. Try making the pictures and words higher resolution if you can. Also, it would be really nice if you could implement a script that would allow you to keep your mouse down and have the person following your cursor so you don't have to click to make him move every time. The interactions are really good though, so nice work with that.

3. drewradley

drewradley

Yeah, I'll up the quality of the pictures. It looks much nicer in the player window than it does as a webplayer. Guess I should have confirmed the quality settings of the webplayer.

I am probably going to be implementing my own controller with a few options for movement controls. Might even put buttons since this is aiming for Android anyway.

May I ask if you were able to complete both the non fighting quests? One of them is unmarked and involves a paperclip.

4. ncst

ncst

I liked the look of the game (though the in-game images [cut scenes?] still looked too low-res). I found the goals of the game confusing (in that when the first skill tree pops up, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do), and instructions for combat are not clear in game (though you did explain them above). For now, I'd suggest working on guiding the player at the beginning.

5. drewradley

drewradley

Thanks for your input. I will include a tutorial at the start of the game as well as an "instructions" menu where you can look any time you need help. I don't know why the images dropped quality in the web player. I made them the exact size of the web player so there wouldn't be any stretching. I am hoping the Android version doesn't have these same issues.

6. Meltdown

Meltdown

Looks pretty sweet so far, the environment shot looks great.
    I'd love to see more games from this sort of camera angle.

7. drewradley

drewradley

Thanks! I used the Dinky Dungeon Tile Set with different textures and made a few adjustments to the door frames. I am more or less going to be using this as a basis for all my future games so they will all be from this camera angle. :) I love the old isometric RPGs of the 90s so I am recreating that style, with my camera angle at least.

8. Majestic24

Majestic24

Nice game, I like the smooth animation and gameplay. The environment is great, and the skill system is a nice touch as well

9. Aguy

Aguy

My comments so far.

Is the game name eXcons or Drew Radley because the intro screen makes it seem like Drew Radley. Assuming that's your real name or nom de plume but it's like 3 times the size of eXcons.

And the lettering is on the small side.

Game movement seems smooth compared to others I've played with Unity.

No major issues that I see though. Not yet anyway.

10. SevenBits

SevenBits

I agree. It's a bit confusing.

11. drewradley

drewradley

thanks for the feedback! I hadn't even noticed that. It's mostly just a prototype but that is still good to know for my future games.

12. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Great work drew!!

I realy like what you sis with the jail. The character looks good too. Keep it up.

13. andorov

andorov

Great looking start!

14. drewradley

drewradley

I am actually redoing this one with the Fury Framework. :) Or will be shortly.