Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

My indie dev blog including income reports

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xaron, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Xaron

Xaron

Hi all,

I've just started a blog recently (see my sig) and want to share some of my stats of some of my apps. So if you're interested in statistics, just take a look there. I will post the plain numbers here as well..

My game Paint&Conquer has its first month (february) in the markets and the numbers are quite surprising with Windows Phone going through the roof - well at least compared to iOS and Android. The numbers are quite disappointing as it's basically a free app but all in all I made €83,68 mostly from ads (Admob) in february. :)

All in all I had downloads which is quite low for a free app BUT, 7411 downloads came from Windows Phone (7408 free, 3 paid), 224 from iOS and only 73 from Google Play. 73 downloads for a free app in a month! Not that much, eh...

Cheers!

chelnok likes this.
  2. Xaron

Xaron

Hi all,

here come the numbers for my game Paint&Conquer for march:

Android Downloads: 84
    iOS Downloads: 53 (25 iPhone, 28 iPad)
    Windows Phone 8 Downloads: 387 (yay)

There was exactly one sale for the full version on Android. Looks like someone accidently bought it. :D

Regarding the ad revenue (Admob only) it looks like this:

Android: 0.75€
    iOS: 1.85€ (0.67€ iPhone, 1.18€ iPad)
    Windows Phone 8: 36.44€ (at least!)

All in all this is a whopping revenue of 40.30€. Well… ok.

I will release my next app within the next weeks so there might be still hope! LOL

3. kaiyum

kaiyum

thats odd!

4. Wind waker

Wind waker

Hi, Xaron

I think you only should be proud of yourself. The likelihood of receiving just pennies or nothing at all is very high especially from a more simulation type of game. Over a hundred euros is a reasonable chunk of money. Also, I don't see that Windows Phone -sales are so surprising simply because right now it doesn't have such a humongous library of content like iOS and Android, so the quality vs quantity -ratio is more on your side. [url="http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1017748/One-Man-17-SKUs-Shipping]Brian Provinciano had a similar experience on his Retro City Rampage –game[/url] with PS Vita –sales (skip to 'gross revenue' on chapter selection).

Would it be possible to ask a breakdown between different weeks? Does it differ or stay constant? Is there certain days of the week that trigger more downloads?

5. Xaron

Xaron

Well I can make such a breakdown. Regarding the game it's just a small strategy game, not that submarine game I currently work on. ;)

6. shaderop

shaderop

Fascinating. Thank you for sharing, and please keep it coming!

I would be proud of those number if I were you. A few more apps and I think you'd have a decent source of passive income.

7. Xaron

Xaron

Thanks! Actually I have more numbers but can't share them as my team mate is against it. So I just share some of my app numbers. My best performing app (Battleship formerly, now Sea Battle -> Thanks Hasbro! LOL) made around $20k in two years, sales only.

I will continue to share my journey, next app will be a kids puzzle which is almost done, so stay tuned. :)

8. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Wow, those windows phone numbers are very interesting!

9. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Windows Store is a really recent platform and they're definitely looking for quality content to put on their store. A lot on game that are not a really high quality are currently making around $3 K / month. It's a platform you guys have to consider porting your game to. Issue is you need to have windows 8 installed ... Can be worth re installing though.

10. Xaron

Xaron

Yes, the Windows Phone store is really underestimated but of course my numbers are quite to low to show some significant statistical numbers. Let's see how this continues! :)

11. SmellyDogs

SmellyDogs

Why don't you include a link to the product you are displaying the stats for?

12. Xaron

Xaron

13. SmellyDogs

SmellyDogs

No I meant in your blog, so its easy to see which product is going to which report.

14. Xaron

Xaron

Ah well of course. Will do that! I have to split it anyway in the future when more apps will be added there.

15. Wind waker

Wind waker

Xaron, I'd suggest creating some sort of a marketing plan. I was interested what kind of attention you have tried to gather for yourself and I didn't see any. You should have at least posted a launch trailer on YT and preferrably convinced a person, who's willing to play your game, comment it and post the play session/walkthrough on teh interwebz. For your next game it'd also be beneficial to have a development videolog also on YT in order to get attention before launch.

Remember, the more you grab attention and talk to your fans beforehand, the more succesful the launch. For example, for you next game you could register to some simulation forums and talk to the members over there. Make sure to treat the hardcore audience gently or otherwise they might eat you alive :-/

16. yoonitee

yoonitee

I have a few apps out on Windows Store/Android/Windows Phone.

By best month I made about £800. (Mainly due to higher sales in Norway corresponding a Norwegian in the finals of the Chess Championships!)

This month I think I'll make about £400.

I consider breaking even point £1000 a month since this roughly corresponds to working minimum wage in MacDonalds in the UK.

So I've been going for a year now. Hopefully with all my practice from the previous year my next apps will be better. I'll make a couple more apps then if I don't break even I'll give up and do something else!

Windows Store Paid and Android with ads has been most profitable then Android paid and Windows Phone.
    Windows Store Ads has been least profitable due (I think) to them targeting ads only to USA. Also Amazon Kindle is hardly worth it either.

17. Wind waker

Wind waker

Yoonitee, keep in mind even the most succesful indie devs kept creating games for years and years and years, until they hit big. Notch, Team Meat and Jonathan Blow had a lot of projects that were only moderate successes at most before they created their golden egg. Then there are people like Tom Francis, the creator of Gunpoint, who hit big on his first try. However, his experience as a game reviewer heavily influenced his ability to make a great game.

18. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Hey sharon, what plugin/network are you using for your ads on Windows phone?

19. goat

goat

I tried that but my mom asked me what a video game was.

As far as the OP's numbers go I am surprised of that much revenue from so few players on Windows Phone.

20. Blaveloper

Blaveloper

Honestly it's not that shocking to me.
    The Windows Phone user base is definitely lower than iOS or Android.
    And Windows Phone has way less apps available than iOS and Android.

Since there aren't much apps available, you have more chance people will spot your game.
    And since there's less competition, you have more chance people will choose your game.

21. yoonitee

yoonitee

Yeah, but don't tell anyone! Keep it between ourselves. :p $$

22. Xaron

Xaron

For 2d games I use Monkey X. Haven't found any better solution for 2d stuff yet. It has so many target platforms and you always get the native code output. You can do almost everything.

I still prefer Unity for 3d stuff though. :)

23. Xaron

Xaron

Yep you're right. I'll think about to do some marketing! Thanks!

My next app will be out in a few days. It will be a kids puzzle, so let's see how this works out! :)

24. gilley033

gilley033

I was trying to throw some support your way by downloading and playing Paint Conquer on the iPad, but it crashes on the Loading screen five seconds after being opened.

This occurs in 7.03 and 7.1. It could be an issue with my iPad, but just in case, I thought you'd like to know!

25. Xaron

Xaron

Uh that's odd gilley, thanks for letting me know! I'll look into it. It worked fine on my side. Is it an iPad 1?

26. gilley033

gilley033

iPad 3, regular non mini version. It is refurbished from GameStop, but I've never had problems before with it. Hopefully it's some kind of issue on my end though!

27. Xaron

Xaron

Hi there,

another month passed by and this will be the first one with two reports as I released a kids puzzle recently!
    The numbers are still very low, nothing to get upbeat with it but at least especially the Windows Phone numbers are pretty strong and stable!

Paint Conquer

Android Downloads: 68 (-16 from last month)
    iOS Downloads: 76 (+23 from last month)
    Windows Phone 8 Downloads: 2,795 (+2,408 from last month)

Again I had exactly one sale - this time from an iPad user, so €1,09.

Regarding the ad revenue (Admob only) it looks like this:

Android: 0.55€ (-0.20€)
    iOS: 2.59€ (+0.74€)
    Windows Phone 8: 52.77€ (+16.33€)

All in all this is a revenue of 57.00€ for April for Paint&Conquer.

Toddler Fun Puzzles

Right, so this is my second app listed here. A funny kids puzzle app for toddlers. I think this one is well put together even though the first numbers are disappointing as well. I still have no numbers for the iOS version because it's still in review and I had to struggle with that new kids section... Hmm... There is a free version (without ads!) plus the full one.

But, this one is now listed in the Amazon and Nook (Barnes&Noble) store as well!

Downloads

Android: 9 (yes nine!)
    iOS: n/a
    Windows Phone 8: 515 (again a strong start!)
    Amazon: 2
    Nook: 1 (there is only the full version there atm!)

Sales

Android: 0
    iOS: n/a
    Windows Phone 8: 2 (2.18€)
    Amazon: 0
    Nook: 1 (1.49€)

All in all this is a revenue of 3.67€ for April for Toddler Fun Puzzles.

Summarized Report

February: 83.68€
    March: 40.30€ (-43.38€)
    April: 60.67€ (+20,37€)

28. Xaron

Xaron

Here are the numbers for May, there was a surprising download spike coming from Switzerland for Paint & Conquer. I still wonder what happened there. :)

Paint & Conquer

Android Downloads: 130 (+62 from last month)
    iOS Downloads: 249 (+173 from last month)
    Windows Phone 8 Downloads: 743 (-2,052 from last month)

Sales: Not a single one for Windows Phone but one for Android, one for iPad and a gigantic four for iPhone! So €6,36.

Admob has changed a bit as well, Windows Phone revenue dropped but Android and iOS revenue increased a bit:

Android: 3.25€ (+2.70€)
    iOS: 10.52€ (+7.93€)
    Windows Phone 8: 29.15€ (-23.62€)

All in all this is a revenue of 49.28€ in May for Paint&Conquer.

Toddler Fun Puzzles

Downloads

Android: 14 (+5 from last month)
    iOS: 227
    Windows Phone 8: 1,506 (+991 from last month)
    Amazon: 15 (+13 from last month)
    Nook: 437 (+436 from last month)

Sales

Android: 1 (1.40€)
    iOS: 20 (20.68€)
    Windows Phone 8: 6 (6.54€)
    Amazon: 2 (3.02€)
    Nook: 11 (16.90€)

All in all this is a revenue of 48.54€ for April for Toddler Fun Puzzles.

Summarized Report

April: 60.67€ (+20.37€)
    May: 97.82€ (+37.15€)

29. Xaron

Xaron

Another report is there. I’ve released a new game called Pacific Battles, which had a pretty good start compared to the other ones! It’s a turn based strategy game for one or two player, check it out!

All other apps show more or less red numbers compared to the previous months but hey, it’s summer!

Paint & Conquer

Downloads

Android: 67 (-63 from last month)
    iOS: 64 (-185 from last month)
    Windows Phone 8: 380 (-363 from last month)

Sales

Android: 2 (2.29€) (+1/+1.14€ from last month)
    iOS: 3 (3.20€) (-2/-2.01€ from last month)
    Windows Phone 8: 0 (0.00€) (0/0.00€ from last month)

Admob

Android: 2.19€ (-0.10€)
    iOS: 10.52€ (-3.40€)
    Windows Phone 8: 16.70€ (-12.45€)

All in all this is a revenue of 31.50€ (-17.78€) in June for Paint&Conquer.

Toddler Fun Puzzles

Downloads

Android: 15 (+1 from last month)
    iOS: 62 (-165 from last month)
    Windows Phone 8: 160 (-1,346 from last month)
    Amazon: 13 (-2 from last month)
    Nook: 533 (+96 from last month)

Sales

Android: 0 (0.00€) (-1/-1.40€ from last month)
    iOS: 8 (8.33€) (-12/-12.35€ from last month)
    Windows Phone 8: 6 (6.54€) (0/0.00€ from last month)
    Amazon: 0 (0.00€) (-2/-3.02€ from last month)
    Nook: 17 (25.38€) (+6/+8.48€ from last month)

All in all this is a revenue of 40.25€ (-8.29€) in June for Toddler Fun Puzzles.

Pacific Battles

Downloads

Android: 430
    iOS: 403
    Windows Phone 8: 200
    Amazon: 51
    Nook: 7

Sales

Android: 26 (31.80€)
    iOS: 86 (88.49€)
    Windows Phone 8: 1 (1.01€)
    Amazon: 7 (7.23€)
    Nook: 7 (6.95€)

Admob

Android: 8.57€
    iOS: 12.53€
    Windows Phone 8: 1.84€
    Amazon: 2.13€

All in all this is a revenue of 160.55€ in June for Pacific Battles.

Summarized Report

April: 60.67€ (+20.37€)
    May: 97.82€ (+37.15€)
    June: 232.30€ (+134.48€)

30. akapil167

akapil167

Xaron....How have you integrated your Windows Phone version of your unity game with Admob......?There is no official plugin by google available as of now...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  31. Xaron

Xaron

I don't. I used a different tool for all my games, not Unity. My submarine game is the first one which will be done in Unity. :) I just wanted to share my stats, no matter if the tool was Unity or not.

32. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Congrats on your success! Makes me feel bad for not being able to publish on the windows store though. I don't understand the process, and all the stuff I have to fill out, having to submit your apps to all those countries you wanna sell in, fill tax forms for each, get maturity ratings certificate from each, how can it be so complicated? Am I missing something? And I don't have the funds to hire a professional to do it. Is there a video tutorial? I'm a visual learner. :p

I absolutely dislike Windows 8 but I'd re-install it on a diff hdd if only I could pass that block.

Definitely gonna follow your blog. I love stats like this.