Search Unity

My graphics wishes for Unity in 2018 (2019?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oscabrg, Apr 21, 2018.

1. oscabrg

oscabrg

I made a tweet on my account after seeing Unity 2018.2.0b1 release notes
    (which adds BTW Vulkan support in the editor which will be nice for Linux build once released..)
    thinking a lot of how things are in graphics APIs and what is currently exposed on Unity here I post my graphics wishes for Unity in 2018 (really would be good if all/most can be shipped even in 2019 before ending the decade!):

*some DXR preview!
    after all:
    "On the software side, Microsoft says that EA (with the Frostbite engine used in the Battlefield series), Epic (with the Unreal engine), Unity 3D (with the Unity engine), and others will have DXR support soon."

from arstechnica news and:
    "Epic Games will make support for NVIDIA RTX technology using the DXR API available to Unreal Engine developers later this year"
    https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/...ng-in-unreal-engine-4-with-ilmxlab-and-nvidia

*HDR on Win(nat. DXGI API)
    *Dynamic res. on PC (D3D11/12)

would be nice coming to PC world at least on D3D11/12 first..
    these two are supported on consoles if I recall correctly.. so Xbox support maybe be very similarly to what is needed on PC/D3D backend using DXGI APIs for HDR and D3D as graphics API

*Metal2 enhancements
    Here Unreal Engine is more advanced having support for "Metal VSync off" on Macos which is a new Metal2 feature..
    also supports translating FMA to new FMA instruction in Metal Shading language and the like..
    (for more new Metal2 things see below (they are requested to be supported on other APIs as well )

*"linked" MGPU supp. D3D12/VK1.1

D3D12 standard MGPU linked support is coming this month in a code drop in master branch of Unreal Engine (what will be 4.20) as shared on GDC..
    Vulkan 1.1 has standard (also linked) multiGPU support and now some engines like ConfettiFX The Forge support it..
    Version 1.0.7 says:
    "First pass of Linked Multi-GPU support for DirectX 12 and Vulkan; new unit test only supported on Windows. Requires NVIDIA Beta Driver 389.20 or later for support on Vulkan. NVIDIA only, not tested on a set of AMD GPUs so far"

*Ballot/Vote/Shuffle Wave ops
    all this seems available on Metal2 (desktop Macos at least) new Vulkan 1.1 subgroup ops and D3D12 via new Sm6.0 wave ops..
    Well here not many engines exposing it but now that we can create custom pipelines would be nice to have for implementing "optimized" advanced graphic render algorithms.. see below for similar idea..

*Sample locations/conservative raster/ROV (raster order groups)
    The same these are optional extensions/caps on D3D12 (even D3D11.x) also on Metal2(minus conservative raster),and Vulkan (sample locs and conser raster supported on NV/Intel drivers since earlier this year)(minus ROV)..
    for example fast voxellization algorithms seems to benefit from support of conservative raster and raster order groups support see:
    IMG_3655.png
    IMG_3652.png
    IMG_3652.png

Kronnect likes this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi I've moved this to General discussion as beta and preview/experimental is for feedback on the actual development. Also I'm not sure you're aware of just how advanced the staff is working on this. These people at Unity are the same people doing Siggraph papers or have wide industry experience... believe me when I say they know this stuff already.

But if you download the existing graphics pipelines and get started, feel free to contribute hands-on feedback and thoughts based on actual usage. Thanks.

theANMATOR2b and Kronnect like this.
  3. oscabrg

oscabrg

Hi,
    thanks for moving to correct place..
    really I think current Unity graphics support is very good..
    really just was a brain dump of all things seen/read at GDC, new Vulkan reléase and extensions and seeing to The Forge engine which seems to expose fairly advanced stuff like MGPU on Vulkan/D3D12..
    I'm aware all of this stuff I request is still very advanced and state of the art graphics stuff..
    just I think as a useful list of things to check every new major Unity release

hippocoder likes this.