Search Unity

My graduation project

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by amrbadawy1, Oct 6, 2018.

1. amrbadawy1

amrbadawy1

Hey everyone, i'll be creating a multiplayer game for my grad project. So any tips on creating servers and etc.. ? if i needed help will anyone help me ?

2. mgear

mgear

Probably easiest way would be to use Photon, follow their tutorial and customize from that..
    Or does the server need to be locally running? (photon and unet is in the cloud only i think, unless pay?)

Or how simple multiplayer it would be? you could have your own node.js server handling basic networking commands.
    There are many free networking frameworks for unity too, check them out.

for help, ask in forums, and join some unity slack and discord channels.

amrbadawy1 likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Come up with the idea for your game first, and how you would in a perfect world like your networking architecture to function. Then research the various networking API's (or consider rolling your own with the C# Sockets class but this will take additional time) and see what fits best with your ideal design. After you have chosen a networking API take the deep dive into learning it, as well as implementing your game.

I'd suggest avoiding the built in Unet API because it is being removed very soon, and its replacement from Unity is not available yet. Because it is deprecated, a lot of the experienced users of it have moved on and aren't answering questions anymore regarding it. If you like the Unet API consider the Mirror community port of Unet, which you can actually learn with any Unet tutorial still with only a few minor code changes.

Often people ask if they should build their game single player and then add multiplayer, I'd suggest against this outside of some simple mechanics prototyping. You end up having to redesign systems not designed for networking when you add networking on top, so you'll probably save time by building networking into the game from the start.

4. amrbadawy1

amrbadawy1

Ok thankss

5. amrbadawy1

amrbadawy1

Ok i may need your help then if thats ok !