Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

My first Unity Error messages...

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by jononotbono, Oct 17, 2020.

1. jononotbono

jononotbono

Howdy,

So I'm completely new to Unity and have been hammering it for about 4 days and I have a few error messages which I believe I have to go in and change the C# Scripting. It's a little bit beyond me so far so I was wondering if anyone could help me in fixing these?

Screenshot 2020-10-17 at 16.50.26.png

Actually I have a 3rd

Screenshot 2020-10-17 at 16.57.47.png

So far, I have created this and I'm loving the journey. So much more to learn but man, it's so creative!

Thanks for your help

Jono

2. jononotbono

jononotbono

Ok, so I redownloaded the Standard Assets pack (I'm using 2019.4.12f1

And now 2 errors have disappeared. I think I was missing the SimleActivatorMenu from Standard Assets/Ultility

Now, the only 2 error I have are...

Screenshot 2020-10-17 at 17.04.25.png

I feel like I'm close to figuring this out but still so far away.
    Until I figure them out, I can't go into play mode so any help would be very appreciated!

Jono

3. jononotbono

jononotbono

Ok, so I double clicked on each one and it took me to a script editor. I used suggested fixes and it has fixed the errors. Which is really great. But equally I have no idea what was wrong so essentially learned nothing. haha! Still, onwards and upwards!

4. Mauri

Mauri

The
    Standard Assets
    are sadly quite outdated and won't work in newer Unity versions by default.

You will need to modify the following scripts to make those errors go away:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/sta...now-what-you-think.516595/page-4#post-5458527

As for the LUT error, you could try deleting the
    NeutralLUT_32.png
    one. Expand the "Packages" drawer in the Project browser and look out for "Post Processing". Expand that folder until you see a "Textures" folder. Then go inside the "LUTs" folder and delete the 'NeutralLUT_32.png' file.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  5. jononotbono

jononotbono

ok I shall give it a go and see what happens. Many thanks!

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Seems like someone should say: the reason Standard Assets are outdated is because most "real" Unity devs (including Unity staff, apparently) don't use them, and you probably shouldn't be using them either.

It's tempting when you're new to throw all kinds of crap into your project — to think there's a download for every need you may have, and just pile 'em on. But this makes your life harder. Every line of code in your project is a line of code that's likely to break with the next version of Unity, and if they're lines of code you didn't write, then it's more stuff you need to deal with that you don't understand.

When I start a new project, the only asset I import is Script Inspector 3 (because I love having an integrated code editor). That's it. I don't add Standard Assets, or anything from the Asset Store, until I really need them — and typically it's only a handful of those (and none from Standard Assets at all). You don't need them. If you want the move the camera with the mouse, write a little script to move the camera with the mouse! It may take you a little longer up front but it'll do exactly what you need, and you will understand it.

JeffDUnity3D likes this.
  7. NullOverrideX

NullOverrideX

You do not look like you started a few days ago, that is awesome!

Me, on the other hand, started Unity a few months ago, and only made an FPS controller. (probably cos' I'm only 9)

8. jononotbono

jononotbono

Hey man! You have great English for someone that's 9. I wish I started using unity when I was 9. You will be amazing if you keep at this so never give up!

Here's how my game is shaping up now after 2 weeks...

9. LukaseN

LukaseN

Hello! I also have the NeutralLUT_32.png error, but I can't delete it. Does anyone here know how to fix that?

Attached Files: