Search Unity

My first multiplayer game - Blixel!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by zoooom, Jul 9, 2012.

1. zoooom

zoooom

Try the game here in the web player!

It's based on the classic "Tron" game style, with the addition of power ups. Hoping to release it on Android and iOS. You can only play against people who have the same network gateway as you currently. Let me know what you think!

Edit: Android APK hosted here for anyone that wants to try it on their phone! I've made a few changes to the Web player version, that will be added to the Android version soon.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  2. Figerox

Figerox

I could really see this game becoming popular if it were to be done properly.
    The controls are kind of... meh. I found myself dying alot because i was click "right" to go "right" when i should of been going left. Maybe make it so it's an option, on what type of controls it is? I would find it would help alot if the arrows were to make the player go in the direction that you clicked. But that's just my opinion.
    Other than that... maybe add some different maps? like say... walls? or traps? something like that.
    So far, I've only come across the speed power up... is this the only one, or was it just my luck?

3. zoooom

zoooom

Thanks for your feedback Figerox! Much appreciated. There's currently 3 randomly generated power ups in there, but only one of them will affect you, the other 2 affect your opponents when you get them (they slow them down, or invert their controls). So you'd need to play multiplayer to see their impact.

Regarding the controls, this is an area of deliberation for me. I'm not sure if you realised but you can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to control when playing in web player, although the on screen buttons are clickable they are there for mobile play really, so you can hold your phone landscape and use each thumb like a game pad.

The controls are set up so that you turn left/right depending on your direction of movement, rather than literally left and right as you look at the screen. I can't decide whether this is too confusing to begin with, or whether this is counteracted by being much more efficient once you get the hang of it? 4 buttons seems like a waste to me when there are only ever two possible direction choices?!

4. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

This need's new controls. Up, Right, Left, Down.

5. zoooom

zoooom

Thanks for your comments! just out of interest, how would you lay this type of control system out on a phone?

6. Figerox

Figerox

like this:

up SCREENSCREENSCREENSCREEN
    left SCREENSCREENSCREENSCREEN right
    SCREENSCREENSCREENSCREEN down
    SCREENSCREENSCREENSCREEN
    SCREENSCREENSCREENSCREEN

7. Figerox

Figerox

up .SCREENSCREENSCREENSCREEN
    left SCREENSCREENSCREENSCREEN right
    .....SCREENSCREENSCREENSCREEN down
    ......SCREENSCREENSCREENSCREEN
    ..... SCREENSCREENSCREENSCREEN

8. zoooom

zoooom

Thanks for your replies! I've updated the game now to have a choice of 2 Control systems -

Classic (default) - Left/Right/Up/Down or WASD - Screen relative
    Pro - Left/Right - Player relative

If anyone has any more thoughts I'd really appreciate it, and especially if you get a multiplayer game going!

9. bigmisterb

bigmisterb

I died alot because of the time it took for the next point to spawn, you go about 20 or so spaces without knowing where to go. Way too easy to box yourself in.