Search Unity

My first game Updated

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by forestjohnson, Jan 31, 2006.

1. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Attached Files:

2. NCarter

NCarter

Looking pretty good! :)

As I've also said about your previous game, I find the mouse control unbelievably slow. I have to crank the mouse right across the desk several times to turn around! It would be nice to be able to adjust the mouse sensitivity ingame in some way.

I find the space dust particles a little weird... maybe they should just be little dots. Looks a bit like snow at the moment. ;)

I really like the way you can fly through the tiny gaps between the asteroids. That works well. I'm also impressed that you managed to get all the way through this project, right up to having a complete game loop with a proper game over condition (that might sound obvious, but lots of amateur games don't get that far). It's especially good considering that you were saying you knew nothing about scripting just a few weeks ago.

Nice work, keep it up! :)

3. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Seconds on that tracking, its incredibly slow. Also why don't the bullets bounce any more? That was so cool on your older version, and a better exploshion efect and sound efect would be good.

But don't let that put you down. The game is realy good :) Unity definetly paid off. Now to convince more CS'rs to get it ;). Incredible work considering you didn't know scripting or 3D before you got Unity! Keep it up. Jeff

4. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

I like the game, It's just the mouse, when I try to move the mouse really fast to shoot at the enemy space ship I ended up outside the game window and the game quits.I like the asteroids too, I can navigate in and out and hide. Reminds me of the Last Starfighter.

Ray

5. pete

pete

fun! i like the hide and seek in the asteroids. good placement of all the nooks and cranies. the intro to the menu is cool. so are the overall graphics. a couple seams here and there on some of the asteroids and the ships could use more detail. think the mouse speed thing is a good idea. on a preference note, i'd rather use wasd controls but that's just me. maybe having other groups of asteroids you could fly to would be cool.

i found that if you can crash head on into the enemy without blowing up, you lock them up. they stop shooting and you can blast away. actually kinda fun (hehehe). maybe something to keep in. you can't play the game that way for very long but for those moments when you just want to blast something...

once you click play on the menu, clicking learn does nothing. if it's on screen and clickable it should do something. otherwise "gray" it out. might be helpful to give some sort of visual clue that you need to select a ship also. click play and the two ships come up. several clicks on play later... why isn't it starting? more clicks on play... doh! maybe change the copy to "select a ship" or somehow highlight one of the ships.

overall very cool - extra cool for having just started learning all this stuff!

6. taumel

taumel

Hi Yoggy,

would it be possible to get a dialogued windowed version as for me unity always chooses a not supported refreshrate...so no go for me...

Greetings,

taumel

7. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I fixed all the issues posted here I think and there is a new version up now.
    :)

8. pete

pete

such fun! :D i flew off into space to see how far it goes. uh it's big duh! flying back blasting away i found out you can go faster than your photons and wind up shooting yourself. well sort of. if you're at top speed with the throttle full and you fire it will regsister as a hit on yourself. blew myself up on purpose! :p could be a prob in combat or then again maybe a skill to master (not blowing yourself up that is ;) ).

cool that when you get lost in space your missles lead you back home. could be a prob if you add other outcroppings of asteroids though. hey btw, the asteroid texture are great. almost look like shots of the moon or did you paint em?

mouse is much better. targets are cool. would be great if it was actual targeting but helps you see what you're doing at least. more nooks and cranies is cool. got the camera inside the asteroids a couple times but it wasn't a lot. can't say where exactly. guess i'll have to play it again!

seemed like i got some lag once or twice at the die scene. i'm sure it was my cpu. i need a new one! should tell you what that is eh? quicksilver g4 733mhz, 1gb ram, 9800 pro card running 10.3.9.

9. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I thought i fixed that....... Oh well it won't hurt to upload again.