Search Unity

My first game that I released months ago.

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Rioneer, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Rioneer

Rioneer

Now instead of talking about how cool my first game is, I'm going to talk about the experience I've gained over the course of the time developing my game. Now besides the fact that I freaking love creating a game of my own, I started out with dreams of becoming a popular developer and earning tons of money through mobile gaming, which caused me to not design my game properly. All I wanted was to get it done at once and release it. Since it was my first game and not an easy challange for a beginner, I struggled for months, took major breaks even abandoned it once (My back then best friend encouraged me going back to it). All I wanted was some cash so I could get out of my parents' hairs at a young age. So I rushed things, I found ugly work-arounds for my problems in coding. I even cancelled some nice features just to get it done fast enough and I ended up ruining a cool idea for a game, by ruining the game itself. I was tired of seeing the same scripts and connections between classes, forgetting and remembering the methods over and over again. So I gave it a big one-last push and I completed it. It had a few small bugs but I wanted to ignore them.

Right after I released my game, as you may have guessed, I shared it online so my friends can download it. It worked just fine on my phone. But then I got a few major bug reports. I hated the game so much that I didn't want to go back and fix my amateurly written codes (As I improved my coding skills, I looked at my old codes and said "Who the hell wrote this?" hahaha.) And then it just stood there.

But hey, it's still better than those stupid apps with tons of ads that were developed just to get ad clicks.

Moral of the story : Screw the money, do it because you love it. Money doesn't follow your will, it follows your ambition.

Here's the link for my game

Me now? I'm drawing cute pixel characters and animating them. I think my next project won't even have ads in it, maybe a few cheap in-game items that could still be unlocked without cash.
    And one more thing, Unity community is the best! Thank you all those who answered all my stupid or really smart questions on unity answers!

Rick-, theANMATOR2b and GarBenjamin like this.
  2. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

"Screw dat money!"

To be honest, if you have an expectation of money going into your first or new indie concept, the more painful the realization will be.

(Cept FNAF. Scott has made more money than we'd like to admit.)

Rioneer likes this.
  3. Rioneer

Rioneer

Exactly, Only if you're lucky enough...