Search Unity

My first experiences with Connect

Discussion in 'Unity Connect' started by eatsleepindie, Jan 1, 2018.

1. devotid

devotid

I just gave up using anything Unity related years ago.
    Connect, Analytics, Cloud Build and the Asset Store... I just make my own games now and ONLY go on a unity site if my auto payment card on file needs updating. So thats about one time every four years now.

They are not listening in ANY way. So why waste our breath?

neginfinity likes this.
  2. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

I used to get 95% of my art work from the old forums. Connect is such garbage. I no longer get work the way connect is set up. I'm thankful I'm working part time as it is for a studio. But would be great to get full time work. But that won't happen due to way connect is set up. I had myself set up to remote okay and paid only. Yet I continue to get people messaging me to work for free or for peanuts. or worse completely inappropriate posts in the unity connect. Hoping unity switches back to the old system. Frankly I find the situation sad and unnecessary. I'm improving my portfolio currently to push artstation.com or poly count harder with my work as well as selling online assets for games.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    mgear likes this.
  3. Rich_A

Rich_A

www.gamejobforum.com is approaching 500 registered freelancers and clients. Its now on a new fast host, is categorised and moderated.

It doesn't have the cachet of a Unity forum, but it has better features and is constantly growing.

4. eatsleepindie

eatsleepindie

I'm just going to leave this here for everyone...

From Unity:
    Today we’re announcing that on February 4, 2021, Unity Connect, our dedicated talent and sharing marketplace, will shut down. We’re proud of the community that rallied around Connect and we are inspired by the great sharing and discovery that came from it.

We want to make this transition as smooth as possible for everyone who uses Connect. If you are an active user on the platform, click here to learn more about the alternatives that will be provided for some Connect features. If you would like to download any part of your profile, please feel free to do so before we delete your information on February 4, 2021.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    HolBol, AcidArrow, Rich_A and 3 others like this.
  5. mgear

mgear

sadly unity ignored all feedback/requests for 4 years about the old Jobs forum, but glad to see its coming back!

eatsleepindie and hippocoder like this.
  6. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

So they ignored all user request to NOT go that route and decided 4 years later to go back to the old Jobs Forum. Thanks for making all of our lives more complicated then it needed to be. At least it's going where it should have stayed in the first place.

HolBol, AcidArrow, Rich_A and 3 others like this.
  7. devotid

devotid

"returning to old Unity Forum"

Dang... thats a great idea. haha.

Thomas-Pasieka and eatsleepindie like this.
  8. Rich_A

Rich_A

I'll be shutting down GameJobForum once the Unity Jobs board goes live again, and redirect users to it.

Unity, to keep it simple, just reactivate the old Jobs Forum, including all the old posts. This will provide an immediate point of reference.

Might as well just do it now, I don't see the point of waiting if the decision has been made.

9. neginfinity

neginfinity

It would be best to keep the forum active. In case Unity tries to implement Connect 2.0.

devotid and AndreiKubyshkin like this.
  10. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Thank you, Unity!

11. Rich_A

Rich_A

At the very least I will backup the entire directory and myBB install so that I can redeploy it will all content and members if necessary.

12. neginfinity

neginfinity

I would recommend to keep it up. It is a good idea to have an independent forum. But, it is your forum and your decision regarding what to do with it.

AndreiKubyshkin likes this.
  13. NinJ0

NinJ0

Rich_A, are you in charge of the Game Job Forum? If so, could you help me? I registered but didn't receive the activation email so I can't post.

Rich_A likes this.
  14. Rich_A

Rich_A

Not much I can do to help I'm afraid, try with a different email address or check spam. You are the first person to report this problem.

15. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Ah, another successful Unity endeavour, where after a lot of effort and frustration, we end up exactly where we were.

Rich_A likes this.
  16. HolBol

HolBol

What a complete waste of time.

17. Rich_A

Rich_A

So Unity, what exactly is the hold up to reopening the Jobs Board?

The forums have been archived, right? Why not just reactivate them?

Just give us one forum for freelancers looking for paid gigs, for clients looking for paid freelancers, and a third for revshare/unpaid jobs and projects. Some tags to distinguish eg. programming, art, sound and video, and business/writing would be good too.

devotid likes this.
  18. Bamboy

Bamboy

Hey! Unity finally gave up on Connect! :D
    Conveniently, this happened two days after my last client's work ended. Expect to see me posting an advert in Job Seeking somewhat soon.

Job Seeking forum as of this post already has 19 adverts, while Job Offering and Non-Commercial Collab each have 3... Hoping this will start gaining more traffic.

sgtkoolaid likes this.
  19. Karsten

Karsten

Back to the roots is sometimes just the right thing, its like in "clean code isnt when there is nothing more to add, its when there is nothing more to remove"
    thanks @Unity

20. koirat

koirat

Blank Page ?

21. neginfinity

neginfinity

"Do you really need that blank page?"

22. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid