Search Unity

MY First Everything !

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by mcarr1973, Dec 14, 2008.

1. mcarr1973

mcarr1973

Hello All,

Here is my first attempt at everything.

When I say my first attempt I really mean My first attempt so Im pretty proud.
    As you can see my character or player has some issues. I got some of the normals wrong and did not really complete the texturing.

I did finish the head, arms, and stomach texture though. The animations are kind of sloppy as well (the run looks great) even though I cant script to get them to work. But once I figure out how to code and write scripts within the unity api you will see even better work because i'll take the time to detail and craft my work.

The creation of making bones and naming conventions were pretty tough as well as creating customized control objects got pretty tough but I think I got a handle on it. My model did not import well either the gun on his right arm got messed up as well I think I have to go back and regroup the objects or something. But not to bad for my first.

The Normal maps and texturing was very fun, I dont know I even loved the animation part.

So you will see many mistakes:
    But I'd figure Id try and share something, I promissed I'd share my first even though I couldn't get it properly working I was hoping to get him to at least shoot from his arm.

Scripting is a huge draw back for me.

Learning scripting is very tough for a newbie or at leastvery tough for me to get my brain wrapped around everything.

I wish there were more tutorials or better resources. The examples and the API have a lot of holes for me.

Theres the lerpz 3d tutorial, the 2d tutorial, the animation tutorial and trust me I've been reading them over and over but just cant seen to grasp it.

I have a simple character with 5 animations (idle, walk, run, shoot, jump) and with all the above tutorials I still cant get this guy to animate.

I tried to write the Character Controller Script to move my Player around but am to new to achieve it and if I use one of the many (mario controller, thirdperson controller, etc..) from the tutorials they are all dependent on other scripts. so editing them and deleting various parts brings more and more errors. So im lost. or they tie into the camera scripts that are not interchange able.

Id like to see a simple controller script thats not dependent on other scripts but not sure if its feasible along with a simple animation script for third person game. Yes and the Camera script.

I know Im hoping for too much :)

Dont get me wrong I thank everyone here Iv'e gotten plenty of help PLENTY, I sincerly thank you all !!! but i'll just have to try and figure something out, just keep on going.

Well sorry for venting I originally just wanted to share my work I apologize my bad.

Game On!

See you all in the future, the dedication will pay off.

Sincerely,
    Michael

P.S. I hope you can view the work? I ran a web build and got 2 files ( .unity3d and .html) so I just zipped them and added them both I didn't know which one to add.

Attached Files:

2. Jessy

Jessy

I think the character looks good for the most part (except for the issues you mentioned, and the issue of polygons mashing into each other at the joints). The animation does not end where it begins, though, which causes a jerk. The platform could also use a higher res texture, definitely. The design is cool, though, so at least you can correct the little problems, and have something nice.

As for scripting, you'll never get the results you want by just grabbing other scripts and applying them. It's important to learn to at least tweak them, but if other people's scripts are already complicated, it's probably less of a time investment to invent your own, in the long run, so your own thought processes are reflected in the code.

Unity has provisions in place to make most game ideas reality. It's sounds like you've made an attempt to get started with the tutorials; just keep going with your own self-teaching, and when you get stuck, ask on the boards! Then you can assimilate new knowledge, and if you forget what you learned, just look up your own name in the search field on this site! :D

3. nickavv

nickavv

D; Crashed Firefox as soon as it finished loading every time.

Firefox 3.0.4, Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI Radeon x1600

4. mcarr1973

mcarr1973

Jessy,

Thank you for the response and especially the honesty :)

I think because this was my first attempt at everything I got into a rush and just wanted to see something on the screen that was mine. I will how ever take more time to create quality looking scenes.

Scripting is on the top of my list of things to learn because its such an important part of the gaming process. I may start with Linda.com Javascripting basics and also check out some C# and see which one sticks to my brain better lol.

These Boards are my friend theres so many helpful people here, I love it.

I thank you again jessy its been a pleasure.

Moldorma

Firefox Also Crashed on me and quit unexpectedly I dont know why I'll have to look into it. Im also using intel core duo with ati radeon. Im using Safari

Have you tried Safari?

I also tried it on a PC with IE 8 and it works there as well.

Thank you for the heads up very appreciated.
    ____________-

Again Thank you both :)

Sincerely,
    Michael