Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

My first (basic) 3D Model :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pivotraze, May 16, 2012.

1. pivotraze

pivotraze

This is the first 3D Model I have ever made. It's just a basic sword, no textures or nothing :p

2. SevenBits

SevenBits

3. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

nice job. how about rounding the edges of the pommel

4. carking1996

carking1996

sweet!

5. pivotraze

pivotraze

I will do that :) I am still kind a newbie, so I'm not nearly the best at it :)

Is this better? :)

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  6. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

better, how about the handle and crossguard? In real life that would be awkward to hold.

7. Torsh

Torsh

How many polys is it?

8. pivotraze

pivotraze

Hmm... that's a good point heh. I will work that a bit more. I was just doing a direct copy from a real life sword... minus the extra designs :p

@ Torsh: Hmm... it is: 184 vertices, 360 edges, 180 faces. :)

9. Torsh

Torsh

So in Unity, it'll probably be 180-360 polygons.

Cool sword. Not bad for a first try.

10. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

That's all? Nice work! What's the next weapon going to be? Also what modeling program are you using?

11. pivotraze

pivotraze

Thanks Omniverse :)

Rounded the handle and crossguard too. What do you think?

The next weapon will probably be another sword, with more design, or a bow. I'm not 100% sure :)

I'm using Blender, but I'm debating Hexagon. The only thing keeping me from going into it is the fact that I have absolutely 0 idea on how to get a background image in xD

@Torsh: Thank you very much :)

12. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

MUCH better. Congrats on the first model.

About hexagon, I can tell you how to do that right now as I use to use hexagon.

To get a reference picture up for one of the three planes, go to the scene box on, for me, the right hand side of the scene. There should be a tab labeled 'Properties'. Click on that tab and there should be three boxes or whatever next to three pictures. If you move the cursor over each picture, it will tell you which plane it represents. To add a picture click on the ellipses (three dots) and select the picture.

Edit: I'm honestly thinking about going back to hexagon because I like the fact that the picture doesn't disappear when you move the camera in 3D mode.

13. pivotraze

pivotraze

Thank you very much, for both :) I have never used Hexagon, but I set up the hotkeys like Blender, since I'm used to it :p And the picture doesn't disappear... what sorcery is this?!??! :p

14. drewradley

drewradley

What I do in Hex, rather than put them on the grids is to map a plane with the image I want to use. It gives you more control over placement and whatnot.

15. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Really? I wish I could figure out what I doing wrong then. If I pan the camera or view it doesn't disappear, but the moment I tilt it or whatever it does.

16. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I never thought of that. Good idea.

17. pivotraze

pivotraze

No I mean, in Hexagon, I was shocked you said it didn't disappear. It always bugs me having to switch to left view again. (All the models have been left view modeled so far. I don't really know why xD

18. Integria

Integria

Looks good. If I may offer a few points of advice:

1) It looks awkward to hold. In general with weapons, stuff like handling, reloading, aiming, and such is worth keeping in mind during design
    2) Polygon count. This may sound amazingly basic, but it does help a lot in assiting. Either the count in the modelling tool, or the one in Unity (they will differ, especielly if you have a lot of hard eges).
    3) A wireframe. Once again, this may not apply specifically to this post, but it really is damn handy. Back when I originally started modelling, people were ever so helpful with pointing geometric mistakes in the modelling - things that wouldn't triangulate well, potentially useful edge-loops, and so forth.

Just my five cent. The thing with wireframes is that evaluating the bevels around stuff like the pommel really does assist in helping determine how a high-poly model would bake down, just to take an example. This might be personal accustomization, but I personally dislike 90 degree edges, in this case.

19. Integria

Integria

I'd just like to note something general about this.

Polygon (many-cornered), is something that generally speaking doesn't exist in 3D Engines. Hence the preference for modelling in either triangles (what 3D engines generally expect), or quads (being that they generally split easily into triangles). My point is that the exact measure - with regards to Tosh - would be at least 180 tris (not polygons). And, at most.... well, infinite.

Point being, polygon / face is an inexact meassure. Even more so, it is dangerous.

Oh, and a quick edit, with regards to my former post. I would bevel the edges of the pomel to avoid 90 degree angles at the edges. This might be personal preference, though. It just generally seems neceary to me, for normal map baking.

20. Haledire

Haledire

Well, he did say "faces", so if we take the fact that it looks box modeled, it's probably safe to assume it's at least doubled because of all the quads. But yes, most engines assume the polygon count in the form of triangles, so when mentioning this count, it's best to triangulate the model (in blender at least, other programs have the ability to show the number in tri's) so you can see the actual count that the engine will be concerned with.

Beveling the edges may be a bit much, but putting an extra edge through just the handle would do plenty to help round it out. Add a triangle in the middle of a face next to the connection of the handle to the guard and scale the front and back faces from the handle to the pommel. Beveling might make more sense if it were higher poly or for making a high poly to bake down from.

OmniverseProductions : you can actually take an Empty in Blender and make it display an image if you want to be able to turn the view and still have the image displayed.

21. pivotraze

pivotraze

Haledire, you are correct. The entire model was made with cubes XD Extruded alot, but all cubes. A total of maybe 4-5 cubes if I remember correctly

I will take all that into consideration for the next model. I'm getting a handle on Hexagon to see if it slides better with me :)

22. Integria

Integria

Face is just as inexact as polygon. If I sound cruel about it, then that was hardly the intention. My main point merely was that it is inexact. Polygon as a word is fine, but in a general sense for 3D engines, I wish people would simply count triangles.

As for bevelling, well... simply bevelling the edges at the pommel should be fine. It won't add that much extra geometry, and assuming you want smooth edges at some point while baking down a hi-res normal map, it will do you a ton of good. It isn't strictly speaking necesary, I just consider it good practice for that kind of shape.

23. pivotraze

pivotraze

I will check out bevelling :)

On a side note, the reason I didn't give a triangle count was because... well... I don't know how in Blender heh......

24. Integria

Integria

It's not really that I had that much of a problem with the absence of such. I should probably have noted the underlying reason;
    It is generally quite nice to make sure that your mesh doesn't contain N-sided polygons. The reason being that these might triangulate in a suboptimal or unexpected manner when you export the mesh itself.

The second point to this is that, with regards to vertex count, the actual count for the in-game mesh will be different, all depending on the number of hard edges, UV splits and so forth.

25. Haledire

Haledire

I was actually just referring to Face because that's the term Blender uses in its statistics at the top. It's actually just the same thing at this point since Blender 2.63 can now support N-gons, so Face and Polygon are just the same thing now. I do agree though, I cringe whenever someone says "Polygons" and you're simply left to guess what the real number is.

There is a model of a sword on Polycount that has just a bit more polygons than pivot's: Master Sword Low Poly. It can look just fine with a minimal amount of shaping and good texture work. If it were something that you expect to see up close then yes, beveling might be a better option as it'd be more noticeable.

Granted, even saying that, sometimes depending on how much you want to conserve on tri count, you could probably even get away with just using a flat plane like these models in another post in the same low poly thread. It's all subject to how it'd be used really.

26. pivotraze

pivotraze

Another sword, this one has a bit of beveling, and also smooth shading. Again, no textures. I followed a concept sword on this one. Neither of these will be used in game. I'm simply trying to improve my 3D modeling skills :)

The concept. Second one from left.

Any tips for this one? Also made in blender.

Vertex: 3006
    Edges: 5969
    Faces: 2986

27. feloxy

feloxy

Nice job ! :) maybe the sword is a bit too square on the handle and the hand guard ? The handle should be more of a perfect cylinder shape and the hand guard a bit thinner I guess :p

28. pivotraze

pivotraze

For the first model, or the second one the post above? :)

29. feloxy

feloxy

second one :p

30. pivotraze

pivotraze

Yeah... I don't really know how to do more rounding than that... :) I'm using Hexagon now and I'm liking it more.. but still don't know how to round more xD

31. feloxy

feloxy

Well just make it thinner cuz the handle is looking a bit like a rounded square :p