Search Unity

Question My custom Synthetic Environment won't show up

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by Blinxel_AR, May 27, 2021.

1. Blinxel_AR

Blinxel_AR

Hi all,

Love MARS, wish it was easier to use.
    I have a primitive model of my apartment for practice. I'd like to make it a MARS sim environment.
    So I've got that "Environment" label working, but the "Add to Synthetic Environments" is greyd out.
    EnvironmentNotWorking-01.jpg
    As you can see from that image, it might be because the object is already added to the list.... but it's just not showing up.
    I did make the geometry in this prefab using ProBuilder, if that's relevant.

2. thomas_key

thomas_key

Unity Technologies

How the geometry is constructed shouldn't be important. I'll take a look at this.

3. unity_andrewm

unity_andrewm

Unity Technologies

I don't see any geometry in the prefab - where is it located?

4. Blinxel_AR

Blinxel_AR

Yeah, you're right. I built a whole thing out of ProBuild... I'll see where that went. I'll report back.
    Even if I add a cube to that prefab, it doesn't show up.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  5. unity_andrewm

unity_andrewm

Unity Technologies

If you're using probuilder, make sure to save the models out to an asset file and not embed them in the scene - they don't tend to survive the transfer to prefabs if they are embedded

6. thomas_key

thomas_key

Unity Technologies

I was able to get this to work by doing the following:
    1. Create a Probuilder object (in this case, the default Probuilder Cube).
    2. Add the MARS Environment Settings.
    3. Extract the Planes using the "Extract Planes" button on the Plane Extraction Settings. You can redo this step on the prefab at any point if you edit it.
    4. Convert the Object into the prefab by dragging it to the desired location in the project.
    5. The "Add to Synthetic Environments" button should be enabled on the Prefab version of the game object.
    6. Clicking the button should add the "Environment" asset tag to the prefab, and it should now show up in the environments list.
    That should be it. If you still don't see it in the list, you can try to manually refresh the Sim Environments list by using Window > MARS > Developer > Update Simulation Environments. Although in my testing the "Add to Synthetic Environments" button was sufficient.

jmunozarUTech likes this.
  7. Blinxel_AR

Blinxel_AR

Thanks. I'll try that.

8. Blinxel_AR

Blinxel_AR

ok. That worked for a cube. I'll try it for my custom environment next.
    Is that process documented anywhere?

9. Blinxel_AR

Blinxel_AR

Is there a way to remove erroneous objects from that environment dropdown list? Do you just remove the label?

10. Blinxel_AR

Blinxel_AR

I've managed to add a custom synthetic environment to the list. I think that's working.
    But if I select my synth env, and then go to select any other synth env, I see "Synthetic Environment Modified"... even though I've done nothing at all beyond that one dropdown.
    Why's that?