Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

My biggest Unity-selfmade blocker in development

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ratatoeskr, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Ratatoeskr

Ratatoeskr

Hi folks,

Today I want to share my biggest decision making problem I currently have in new unity projects of mine. With each version unity gets even more and more awesome. New features often increasing working flow, performance and graphics. As the new render pipeline were introduced many of the new features were only available using the new rendering pipelines.
    Choosing to use the new system is a huge decision and for me, a point with nearly no return as shader and materials needs to be converted or re-written.

Now as LWRP was released with Unity 2019 it is even harder to make a decision which renderer to use. On one hand, shader graph is a brilliant tool, the new renderer assets bring a bunch of new functionalities and not to mention the performance increase.
    On the other hand a lot of asset packages I bought or e.g. the new PolyBrush asset by unity are not compatible with the new render pipelines (at least for now).

So in each new project I have to make the decision: should I use the new pipelines, enjoying a more responsive shader development work flow or should I use the old forward render pipeline bearing in mind that it could become obsolete some day and that performance is not that optimized, etc., etc.

What is your opinion? Do you have tips or advices?

2. neoshaman

neoshaman

Seems like you are suceptible to FOMO and YAGNI.

The real questions are:
    - what is your game target?
    - do you really need the extra features relative to that target?

Evaluate each feature based on the relative need of your target.

I mean it's useless to consider how big the bottle must be if you aren't sure if you can fill it.

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

@Ratatoeskr you seams focusing on graphics so much. Do you have actually anything, to go with it?

4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Is there a problem you have that must be solved in order to publish your game on schedule?

In my small experience, optimization is just a matter of time and discipline. Doing things the lazy way versus the right way. I don't think you need the latest experimenttal tech to make your game run. If you do, and if you ain't a AAA publisher, I think you're making the wrong game.

Ratatoeskr and Antypodish like this.