Search Unity

Question My Animator is broken

Discussion in 'Animation' started by slashey025, Mar 25, 2022.

1. slashey025

slashey025

I was following a tutorial on how to make animations, and I put the idle and walking animation on the animator. I could easily make the transitions for both of them, then I created the code for the animation to appear. Then I was adding the animation for jumping on the animator and it would only let me make one transition. Then I realised the inspector is broken and once I made a transition it would completely close the inspector for the animation and I couldn't see any of it. Also every other animation is broken as well. Also once I make the transition I cant move any other animation around.

I don't know if my unity editor is broken or I didn't add something, but I need help.

upload_2022-3-25_20-8-44.png

2. theprogrammersleigh

theprogrammersleigh

For what it's worth, I am also having this issue. I found old bug reports of a similar thing with Unity v5 but I'm on the latest version.

I'm hoping it's a project setup issue and not a weird editor bug. Would love to see some thoughts on this so I can fix my issue as well.

EDIT w/specifics:
    Can only add one outgoing transition to any state block
    Cannot click and drag the state blocks after the transition is created
    The transitions I do add work fine, just can't connect all the pieces I need to
    Running editor v 2020.3.31f1

Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
  3. SethMeshko

SethMeshko

So, I don't know if you know this, but if you want to see the animator update you have to have the character node with the animator component on it selected during play.
    That may help you, but I would highly suggest that you use videos to portray issues like this as still screenshots don't offer much to go on.

4. RisingSaviour

RisingSaviour

I am also experiencing this issue as well on the 2020.3.32f1 Personal version

gastricsparrow likes this.
  5. SethMeshko

SethMeshko

Oh, I see. So it is an editor issue. I do see what appears to be a grab/resize bar on the state that appears to be missing its inspector info. Try grabbing that and sliding it. Perhaps that will help.
    upload_2022-3-25_15-0-12.png
    if that doesn't work I have found that Window-->Layouts-->Reset All Layouts can sometimes resolve issues like this.

6. RisingSaviour

RisingSaviour

Unfortunately, resetting the layouts doesn't seem to work, the line at the top is actually the top of the first input box for motion, I am unable to resize anything on the inspector

erenaydin likes this.
  7. SethMeshko

SethMeshko

Try undocking the inspector window.

8. SethMeshko

SethMeshko

Also, just FYI, I know you are new, but you might as well know this now, the mecanim system is and always has been a sloppy and inefficient workflow. Check out this guy's tutorial:

Its a way better approach.

9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It is a bug, there have been numerous posts about it.

erenaydin likes this.
  10. RisingSaviour

RisingSaviour

Oh nice thanks, I came from a programmer job trying to learn Unity so this'll work much better for me

11. thatryanguy

thatryanguy

The issue seems to be fixed in the latest non-long term support version (2021.2.17f1)

12. GandhiOfTheFoG

GandhiOfTheFoG

Having the same bug.

13. Snigros

Snigros

Me too - in 2020.3.32f1. Cannot update clip reference for a state as nothing is shown in inspector below the Tag item. Very annoying and it is holding up development...is there a fix for the LTS version in sight?

P.S. The "Add Transition" right click menu item is also missing (seems to be an old bug that has reappeared). Work around is to hold down shift, left click to select both to and from states, then right click to get menu item.

erenaydin likes this.
  14. park1654

park1654

Same here, Unity 2020.3.32f1 LTS...
    I cannot edit the animation properties on inspector,
    adding the transition is not working as well.
    Even though I press the right mouse button on animation node,
    the list starting from "Add transition" is not showing up.
    Also, moving animation node around the animator layout
    is not working.

I hope this would be fixed ASAP,
    my team has made the animation, implemented the code, but we had to postpone the
    build release because of this single problem

Attached Files:

erenaydin likes this.
  15. dudleyhk

dudleyhk

This issue has been resolved for me since I updated to 2020.3.33f. I tried downgrading to 2020.3.31f previously which didn't resolve the issue. I did however find the Debug window option in the drop-down of the inspector window (if you click on the three dots top right) which at least let me continue working.

erenaydin likes this.