Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

My Android app buttons sometimes stop working after the first startup

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by utzsar, Nov 2, 2019.

1. utzsar

utzsar

First time you run the app is fine, everything works as it should. Sometimes, you can even run it several more times with no problems. But often, after the first startup, the next time you run the app, all the buttons stop responding.

You can see that the buttons are detecting your touch because they still light up when pressed, but do not respond, so you cannot start the game. The method of touching one part of the screen and tapping the button with a second touch does not work. There is no "sweet spot" to hit that will make the button work. It is entirely unresponsive, yet apparently detects your touch.

The problem persists until either the phone is restarted, or the app is force stopped. (The force-stopping method does not work for a user with Galaxy S5, but it does work for the user with Galaxy S6. These are the only two device types I have been able to do testing with)

This problem is not appearing for all users. Some users with Galaxy S6 have not experienced this problem even once. I have personally experienced it numerous times on my S6. Sometimes I will go weeks being able to launch the app often just fine. Sometimes it appears and I am forced to restart my phone every time I want to play for the next few days. The seeming randomness is making it hard to replicate and pin down the issue.

For a while, I thought this bug was only happening to me for some crazy reason (perhaps caused by having dev tools turned on or something) because no users reported it, but at least two other users have reported this issue now. And I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this or how to fix it! If anyone can give any advice or point me in the right direction, I'd much appreciate it. I'm thinking that since everything goes back to normal after a phone restart, there must be something sort of hanging in the background, but I don't know what it could be or if that's possible.

2. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

3. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D