Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

My 1st unity scene

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by funky4fingers, May 23, 2009.

1. funky4fingers

funky4fingers

2. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Shiny. (In the Firefly universe that is a compliment I think...)

I was trying to figure out how you got bumped spec on the terrain, then realized it was all custom terrain.

It looks pretty nice. The fog around the bottom of the castle thing fit in nicely. I managed to climb up to the top of the shiny castle and jumped off into the unknown.

Only strange thing was the far clip plane seemed to be too close, things kept getting clipped off in the distance.

3. Discord

Discord

Completely agree. I would definitely extend that far clip plane if it doesn't have much of an impact on performance.

4. umbrellaBuddha

umbrellaBuddha

Your rain effect needs a couple additional layers to simulate rain further off in the distance. The rain should get progressively smaller, more dense, and fall at a slower rate as it gets further away from the camera. Also, make sure your texture resolution is consistent, and relative to the size of the geometry its on (mainly I think the terrain textures should be bumped up a lot).

Its looking good for your first level, keep it goin!

5. funky4fingers

funky4fingers

thanks for the feedback guys! i did spend a lot of time with the clipping planes. i actually had it set to infinity and it was set in daylight (no fog, mist). But yea, that really pulled my framerate down, I was required to keep it above 60fps for the assignment.

Yes they are all custom terrains, modeled in maya, normal mapped in zbrush (they werent tiled, so lost a lot of resolution there) I didnt play around with unity till i actually finished my entire scene in maya, and had no idea about the unity terrain tools (which are awesome!)

But yea, I am pretty happy with my 1st attempt on a real-time environment. I'm actually a character artist/animator. Think the next thing i'm goin to play around with is importing animated characters and IKs.

6. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

reminded me a bit of Tomb raider..try adding some more details o the architecture.. and try baking in some shadows in maya to get those soft shadow spots.

cheers
    Steve

7. Zeltek

Zeltek

I agree with whats been said here. I love the look of the terrain, but the skybox itself seems to break the scene as a whole for me. It just feels a bit out of place. But it looks great for a starting point, and I'd love to see your future work!

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey, great work. Only thing I noticed was that I stepped into the water and fell through the level. Nice work.

9. funky4fingers

funky4fingers

thanks Marinius, I am fairly new to the whole interactivity and the technical stuff. The main aim of the project was to create a good looking scene with a target framerate, so i didnt really concentrate on the interactivity. Tho i did try to block off the player from goin over board, but i guess i missed a few spots. But yea, im really happy with my 1st 3d environment.