Search Unity

Muting Unity ads does not work.

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by grozail, Mar 26, 2021.

1. grozail

grozail

First of all, I am not a game developer, but the end user (and software engineer by profession).
    The problem - I can't mute the Unity ads and cant control the volume.
    This is really really ANNOYING.
    To be more preciese I have two phones with identical games installed:
    On one (Xiaomi MI 9T) the ads come from Google. They are easy to mute and the muting actually works.
    On the other (Xiaomi Redmi 9T) the ads come from Unity for the same game. And the are (some swearing goes here) LOUD. And the volume can't be controlled.
    I tried to complain to every single ad, the game is muted, the volume on the phone is muted. But the ads playing ON THE FULL DAMN VOLUME.
    This ad behaviour is unacceptable.
    Is there a way to opt-out unity ads completely and enable google ones?

P.S. If I would like to develop a game - I would never make the end user to suffer from such ads. It is some kind of anti-ads, you know? I would never download anything that uses such kind of advertising.

unity_velella likes this.
  2. kirill_unity340

kirill_unity340

Have the same problem in our game. Very loud ads despite the fact that the sound is turned off.
    Xiaomi Poco M3
    Android 10
    Unity 2019.4.5
    Advertisement package 3.5.2

3. Kodiakkb

Kodiakkb

Same here with a Redmi 9T as well. It shouts at max level on every Unity Ad even if my phone is muted. This is VERY annoying and could even be dangerous if I were to wear headphones.

4. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@grozail, @kirill_unity340, @Kodiakkb

Thanks for reporting this issue. We are working on reproducing it. So far none of the devices we have available have this behavior, but we are getting other devices to test.

Since we have only seen this reported on a few devices, it might also be worth reaching out to the device manufacturer and making a bug report there. The Unity Ads SDK is using standard functionality for playing audio on Android, so there should be no reason these devices behave differently.

5. eL_Marcos

eL_Marcos

I've got the same situation on xiaomi poco m2 (adroid 10). Unity ads are very loud, and they aren't react on volume control.

myandro likes this.
  6. baddeed

baddeed

Same problem here. On Xiaomi poco m3.

7. myandro

myandro

Yes, Unity this is very disturbing. I got bleeding in my ears the candy crush games caused this. Plz try to resolve this very soon or else I will need to complain this legally.

8. Tweenbee

Tweenbee

same problem, I'm using:
    1. Poco M3
    2. Vivo Y91C
    3. Samsung J6
    4. Samsung A71
    5. Sony Xperia XZ2 Premium

every time there's unity ads in the game the volume is extremely loud even all the phone is on DND/Silenced/mute, I have to plug earphone to circumvent unity ads from playing audio to speaker.

I will post screenshot once the unity ads played again, so far after I click on report the game doesn't show unity ads for a while

9. xavdeman

xavdeman

Same here. Xiaomi Poco M3. Impossible to decrease the volume of Unity ads. Only option is to close the app.

10. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

Just wanted to give an update here. We have been able to reproduce this issue on a device and the engineering team is now working on a fix. I appreciate all of the reports (it helped us track down devices to repro this) and I understand that this is a frustrating bug to say the least. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

11. aets

aets

I have just bought a Xiaomi Redmi 9T and it plays adverts at full volume regardless of my sound settings. This is unacceptable.

12. mtmtyusei

mtmtyusei

The volume is maximum, the volume control of the device does not work, and the sound cannot be muted even in silent mode.
    I'm using oppo a73 with android11.

13. aets

aets

Please tell us about the progress to resolve this issue.

14. myspeakersbrokenthx2you

myspeakersbrokenthx2you

Please tell us about the progress to resolve this issue.

15. pawczaki

pawczaki

Any update ? I'm facing the same issue: Ads volume is independent from system and some ads doesn't respect:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. MobileAds.SetApplicationMuted(true)
    Device: Samsung S21 (Android 11)
    Unity: 2018.3.14f1
    GoogleMobileAds: GoogleMobileAds-v5.4.0.unitypackage

NOTE: Test Ads seems to work correctly (Ads which are displayed if device is Test device)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  16. aidinz

aidinz

Facing the same problem (I think), I need to be able to play a muted ad if device's sound is off (or game's sound and music has been turned off). Is it possible to do so?

Thanks!

17. imantspudans

imantspudans

Two month already...
    Still looking for solution? If you cant fix this, then just STOP your ads, until problem is fixed. This is not small bug. Seems like somebody need to sue you for 10 milions for damadge to health to start resolving this stupid bug.

terhe likes this.
  18. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

Another update about this issue. It turned out to be a much more challenging problem to solve than I originally thought.

We did find a workaround, at least for Xiaomi devices. There is a setting called Mono Audio that when set to On should prevent this from happening. There might be similar settings for other devices.

We are still working on a fix. It looks like it might be an issue of how we're encoding the video creatives or how we're saving them to a device.

19. terhe

terhe

Same problem with 2 brand new Xiaomi Redmi 9T phones. And it is REALLY annoying!

Please disable your ads if this cannot be fixed in near future. The first reports of this problem date already back to March (over 6 months ago).

Haven't tried setting the whole phone to mono audio but that is maybe not something we like to do only to silence malfunctioning ads.

Br,
    A software developer

20. lovebikes61840

lovebikes61840

Oppo A53 user with the same issue. It is making my health conditioned worse, and playing simple games is one of my few coping strategies. Seriously, what is the problem!?
    It has only been happening since the colorOS11.1/Android 11 update on 23rd september.

21. unity_0C6HFvzZhjf8uA

unity_0C6HFvzZhjf8uA

Xiaomi redmi 9t also cant mute ads

22. unity_0C6HFvzZhjf8uA

unity_0C6HFvzZhjf8uA

I can confirm the workaround works but its a shame to lose stereo functionality just to silence ads

23. TheRealZet

TheRealZet

I have the same problem

24. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

I'm also seeing this problem on Samsung devices. When the ad shows, the audio is playing even though the sound icon shows as muted, tapping the sound icon twice mutes the ad, but next time an ad is shown the muted status is ignored again.

25. Fegiotell

Fegiotell

Happens to me too (OPPO A53s), Unity ADS have max volume that cannot be muted or reduced, and it's damn painful, expecially because i have to wait some seconds before i can close them, or close the app directly to avoid suffering. Just fix this, it's dangerous, even if i don't use headphones, i can't imagine the risk instead

26. vannispen71

vannispen71

I am having HTC Desire 21 having same issue with the commercials. Maximum sound.
    Actually Unity must be a shame at itself not having this resolved in proper time. Almost a year now.
    Maximum sound like takeover a phone should be avoided by not allowing the commercials anymore.
    Just fix this annoying issue and stop giving comments while not fixing anything. If you cannot fix it, the stop blowing this these ads towards our heads.

27. MattsOppo

MattsOppo

Oppo A53 user with Android 10 here, have been loudly confronted by this issue as well. Hope you guys fix it soon, the amount of ads on certain games is already quite unacceptable and not being able to mute them is very annoying.

28. Kheremos

Kheremos

Does this still happen if you mute the add unit?
    Main Monetization Dashboard Menu > Ad Units > Select Your Unit > Edit > Mute > Save > Etc..
    Make sure it's the primary unit in your game.

29. sj10121

sj10121

End user (OPPO A53), I no longer engage with apps with ads that can't be avoided because of this issue, and generally don't opt to watch ads for rewards in games now. Please fix this. I can't be the only one avoiding ads and therefore apps as a result. Reduced advertising engagement could lead to lots of knock on financial effects for all concerned so it is in your interest to fix this...

30. Animals

Animals

Have decided to drop UnityAds from our mediation until a fix is released.

31. egorovsa2

egorovsa2

Almost the same . I've tried to reduce the volume level

MobileAds.SetApplicationVolume(0.5f);
    It does not work.
    Unity 2021
    ios 12+

32. Kheremos

Kheremos

Yes, I agree that not having some volume control of ads is a problem. But the workaround I did was to create a muted and non-muted ad unit, and just show the non-muted only when the user sets volume to 70% or higher. Also, if the audio for ads in general bothers you, you can set all ad units to muted and not worry? User can still unmute if an ad interests them. But giving up on ads in general seems a bit extreme. I've made 28 cents from ads, so I'm not complaining.

Lorrak and Animals like this.
  33. Westeron

Westeron

STILL not fixed. What is the status of this issue?

34. Brouilles

Brouilles

Same on Nokia 3.4

35. Jeryl

Jeryl

@ap-unity Hi, any progress? Players are complaining about it quite often.

36. moldovanalexandru123

moldovanalexandru123

Same issue here on Oppo a53...

37. Miknius-

Miknius-

happens on xiaomi poco m3

38. de666

de666

same issue: Unity 2020.3.28f on Lenovo Tab P11 (TB-J606F), Android 11

39. johnkong1982

johnkong1982

Same issue and turning on mono seems to stop adds playing at all, which is weird but probably another thing these add makes have done to s

40. tdmpembe17

tdmpembe17

Same issue on a Nokia 3.4

41. UnityCookie

UnityCookie

Please, where is this setting and how can it be enabled?

I have been able to reproduce the problem with full-volume ads playing on a Xiaomi Poco X4 Pro 5G. Even the Ad units that are marked as 'Audio Muted' are being played with sound on as the default. All of the Ads that have this problem cannot have their volume changed or muted, despite the in-ad icons showing them as mute. When the same code and ad units are tested on Samsung devices everything is working correctly.

Details:
    Unity 2020.3.33f1
    Unity Ads 3.7.5
    Xiaomi Poco X4 Pro 5G
    Android 11 (RKQ1.211001.001) MIUI Global 13.0.5.0 (RKCEUXM)

Update: After upgrading to Unity Ads 4.1.0 and clearing the Ads cache the problem is still present for most Ads. A small number of Ads have been operating correctly, allowing volume to be controlled and mute/unmute as expected but the majority still display the problem.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  42. snunes246

snunes246

Also happens on a Nokia N20, android 12. I have now hurt my ears multiple times because there are always ads that pop up randomly. This needs a fix asap.

If you can't find a fix, do simple workaround by switching off sound on all ads - not users switching to mono, but Unity blocking all sound. The sound is almost always just music, so nothing is lost. Your users health comes first.

43. pishticus

pishticus

Same issue on Nokia X20 with Android 12. It's a horrible experience and even though I'm reporting the ads every time with Other, nothing seems to be changing. (Also no option with Other to input a specific reason.)
    This kind of lack of control is quite disappointing and should be illegal in my opinion.

44. AnotherDaveNL

AnotherDaveNL

This happened on my Sons phone he is 13. How can Unity be ok with causing hearing damage to users.
    First report on this was a year ago and no fix. Will try to complain to to google/play store, but expect that they will not care until someone starts sueing

45. squarek1

squarek1

The same issue has occured on my Nokia X10 with Android 12. There is no way this is unintentional. Please fix it ASAP.

46. Barb-Unity

Barb-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating this issue is. I can assure you that we are well aware of it and are currently investigating why this happens and working on a fix for it.

As @ap-unity has mentioned, currently the only workaround is to enable Mono Audio on Xiaomi devices. You can find this setting in Settings > Additional Settings > Accessibility > Hearing. Mono Audio should be adjustable on other devices as well (I suggest checking the Accessibility section of your Settings). If you have a device other than Xiaomi (e.g. Nokia or Lenovo) and notice that enabling this setting solves the issue for you as well, please share this information, as it would be helpful both for us and other users.

I really hope that we can provide you all with more useful information sometime soon. Thank you for your patience!

Cheers

47. AntonVynohradov1024

AntonVynohradov1024

Getting this constantly on Xiamoi Redmi 9 and Redmi Note 11. The ads are extremely loud. It's been more than a year at this point. I suggest other developers refrain from using Unity Ads until the issue is fixed, it's a horrible experience for the end user, and completely ruins the ad as well.

unity_velella likes this.
  48. AtomicHaggis

AtomicHaggis

For those using Android, I found a workaround that worked perfectly for me. Firstly, you'll need to the the package name for the app which contains the embedded Unity ads that blast your ears.

It'll be com.appname.something and if you open Google Play from the desktop and navigate to the problem app, you'll see the package name in the URL. Replace the text
    package-name
    below with your relevant package name.

Once you've done this, you'll need to use ADB to perform the following commands. There are numerous guides on how to get ADB working for your devices, so I won't go into this here.

Note that you'll no longer be able to control volumes from within your app if you do this, so bear that in mind.

Here are the commands:

appops set package-name AUDIO_MASTER_VOLUME ignore

appops set package-name AUDIO_VOICE_VOLUME ignore

appops set package-name AUDIO_MEDIA_VOLUME ignore

appops set package-name AUDIO_NOTIFICATION_VOLUME ignore

Edit: After further testing, this does not fix the problem for all ads. Some still max out the volume on Chinese-brand phones.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  49. mizziodj

mizziodj

Hello everybody. I've tried to set "Mono Audio" on my Nokia X20, but can't test the workaround since with mono audio Unity ads don't work anymore !!! Games which rely on ads won't start at all... So I have to live with stereo audio and LOUD ads :(

50. aavoolen

aavoolen

Same problem with redmi note 11. This is very very annoing. my kid want to play alot and these ads scream so loud noone can live in quiet! Hope this is fixable and hope these ad makers die in hell, couse most i hate when admakers make take max from loudness, clients should not buy ads from these idiots who make that kind of ads, what scream full sound!