Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Must be instantiated using the ScriptableObject.CreateInstance method instead of new SO

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Rauljl, Oct 17, 2022.

1. Rauljl

Rauljl

Hi, everyone.

I have a problem and the following message appears:
    "RemoteSO must be instantiated using the ScriptableObject.CreateInstance method instead of new RemoteSO"
    Basically I have a Scriptable Object that contains other Scriptable Objects. On the other hand, I have a JSON file with the same structure, which I deserialize in order to fill the RemoteSO data using the following code:

RemoteSO auxRemote = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance("RemoteSO") as RemoteSO;
    auxRemote = JsonConvert.DeserializeObject<RemoteSO>(jsonRemote);

Everything works fine, but I get Warning messages. What I can do?

2. spiney199

spiney199

You can't serialise or deserialise anything inhering from UnityEngine.Object, nor can you deserialise data and just 'assign' that to a Unity Object.

Your data needs to be represented as a plain class/struct and that data has to be stored inside the SO itself.

lyingturkey likes this.
  3. Rauljl

Rauljl

I know, but actually I have a complex SO with other SO inside. The error message is from this line JsonConvert.DeserializeObject<RemoteSO>(jsonRemote) because i suppose when you Deserialize an object, a new Object was created. Also, it works perfectly, but i don't know why the error message is showing.

4. spiney199

spiney199

Doesn't change what I said. You can't and shouldn't serialise out entire Unity objects, it's not supported. What might work in one situation will likely fail in other situations.

Represent your save-able data with plain classes/structs, represent your runtime data with scriptable objects. Just sounds like a case where you need some serialisable surrogate classes.

lyingturkey likes this.
  5. Rauljl

Rauljl

6. spiney199

spiney199

Which is pretty much what I said.

lyingturkey likes this.