Search Unity

music on the asset store licensing question

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by bosone, Oct 5, 2016.

1. bosone

bosone

Hi!
    I am selling music on asset store since a long but now I have a question regarding licensing on the music itself.

If one purchases a music asset on the store, is it supposed to use it ONLY inside a unity project? i.e. a game made with unity engine. is it correct?

is it possible (i.e. is the license permitting) to use the music purchased on the asset store on a youtube video? or in any other way in which unity is not directly involved?

what about a video of a gameplay made with unity? this meas, for example, publishing on youtube a video demo scene /gameplay of the game made with unity. is this acceptable?

thanks!

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

My initial thought was - yes the end user can use the asset for any purpose as long as it is not being resold, re-distributed etc etc. However the EULA details the opposite -

Licensor grants to the END-USER a non-exclusive, worldwide, and perpetual license to the Asset to integrate Assets only as incorporated and embedded components of electronic games and interactive media and distribute such electronic game and interactive media. Except for game services software development kits (“Services SDKs”), END-USERS may modify Assets. END-USER may otherwise not reproduce, distribute, sublicense, rent, lease or lend the Assets. It is emphasized that the END-USERS shall not be entitled to distribute or transfer in any way (including, without, limitation by way of sublicense) the Assets in any other way than as integrated components of electronic games and interactive media. Without limitation of the foregoing it is emphasized that END-USER shall not be entitled to share the costs related to purchasing an Asset and then let any third party that has contributed to such purchase use such Asset (forum pooling).

Edit: Although this means the audio file can be used in other engines - not only Unity.

3. bosone

bosone

thanks for pointing out this.
    so it seems that you can NOT use music assets to make youtube videos?
    it remains open the question if it is permitted to post on youtube videos of games in which music from unity asset store is used (intro/gameplay/screens/gameplays...)

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

To my understanding - yes posting youtube videos of 'games' that contain music from the asset store - is acceptable. The reasoning - it has been done already - and nobody has ever said it's against the rules.
    It's the same logic behind why youtubers can post commentary and letsplay videos of a game - and why the original creators of the game 'should' not be able to claim copyright against the youtuber. Although Nintendo and other big influential corporations get away with claiming the videos.
    Jim Sterling, Angry Joe, Total Biscuit and others have discussed this at length. Might consider watching some of there commentary. When they say game, just replace 'game' with music from the asset store.

Well - if the video is a 360 video - then the music from the asset store can be used directly in the video - even though it is not a video of a game. 360 videos on youtube are interactive media - and as such fall in line with the EULA.