Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Audio Music for games?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by PolarsVisuals, Jul 10, 2019.

1. PolarsVisuals

PolarsVisuals

I'm new to this forum so if something is wrong here I'll take down the post.

Does anyone know a good way of making music with free and easy to use software? I can make sound FXs but it's music I need. I've looked round FL Studio, LMMS and Bosca Ceoil but I have had a hard time using them.
    Any feedback is appreciated

2. Mauri

Mauri

What part are you struggling with?

All DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) are mostly the same. If you have a hard time using "FL Studio" or "LMMS", then you probably wouldn't be happy with "Cubase", "PreSonus Studio One" or "Ableton" either.

3. bielyobrazok

bielyobrazok

I know Audacity .. It' simple and you can mix together songs and adjust it the way you want to..

4. Snowy_Fox

Snowy_Fox

Audacity is a great audio editing tool, but trying to use it to compose or do more than the simplest of edits to music with it is like trying to hammer a nail with a rolling pin. It's not really what it's designed for. I personally compose in Reason, "bounce" (export) audio from that in high quality, then use Audacity to normalise, trim off any unwanted silence from the ends of the file, add metadata, and export in whatever file formats are needed.

When it comes to composing software, I personally favour Reason, mainly for its interface. Having jumped from version 7 to 10 recently, I think it's starting to feel very bloated and overdesigned, but its core principle of emulating real-world hardware (specifically in the "rack," which looks just like the real thing, with a few digital enhancements, such as a convenient disregard for the laws of physics) makes it more comfortable to me than other DAWs, which can feel a bit abstract.

@SickTrickz832, I don't want to discourage you - quite the opposite - but making music is not something you can learn overnight, and DAWs do tend to be quite daunting and complex when you're first starting out. If you want to get into composing, I hope you're ready for a deep dive that will, if you're serious, take years rather than months, as the rabbit hole goes far beyond just learning a software package - people spend lifetimes studying music theory, sound design, mixing and mastering, and so on. It's hugely rewarding when you start finding your feet, though, and it can be a very enjoyable rabbit hole to find yourself tumbling down; I wish you all the best of luck in getting there sooner rather than later.

If you're finding FLStudio and the like hard to wrap your head around, I can recommend giving Reason a try, as it comes at the music making process from a different angle that a lot of people find more intuitive, myself included. You can trial it for free for thirty days, and if you like it, there's a lightweight version available, with fewer instruments and effects, for £70.00, if £230.00 is too steep. Propellerhead also maintain a rather awesome YouTube channel with a lot of tips and tricks, many of which can be applied outside of Reason as well.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

And if you decide you really can't get to grips with a DAW... well, you could always commission me to make you some music instead. ;3

5. PolarsVisuals

PolarsVisuals

Thank you for the feedback. I understand it is not something you'll learn straightaway, it's the same with nearly everything but I'm willing to try. I'll give Reason and Audacity a try and see how I go.
    It's weird. I can make sound effects easy as pie but when it comes to actual music and soundtracks I'm lost XD
    Thanks for this, very helpful.

6. Mauri

Mauri

Not really weird. Sound effects are easy to make, that's all. There's simply more involved when making actual music.

7. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

If you want, check out the lmms forum and ask for help, on this.
    They might be able to guide you too.:)