Search Unity

Feedback Multiwindow - Aid the Pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joshcamas, Aug 14, 2020.

1. joshcamas

joshcamas

The Unity Editor's handling of multiple windows can be frustrating, especially when wanting to have a tool open on one screen (IE Profiler, Shader Editor, etc), but now *every time you focus on the main editor*.

The most simple solution in my eyes: being able to convert a "Unity Window" (tabbed unity windows that is not docked onto the rest of the editor) into a "OS Window", which would create its own tab in the taskbar, and not auto focus when Unity is focused.

This would be INCREDIBLY helpful when dealing with complex editor tools in Unity, especially shader editors. And now that Unity is pushing their own Shader Editor, I think this sort of feature is ever more important. If I could implement this myself, I would, but I don't think that's possible.

Joe-Censored, ikazrima and Ryiah like this.
  2. cyangamer

cyangamer

This would be great, but given past history with general stability I'm worried if they could even pull it off. I do hope the UI revamp they did in 2019.4 is only the beginning. There are many other gripes with the general usability of the UI that I have.

joshcamas likes this.
  3. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

I think I've seen this issue raised on more than one occasion.

Another problem I have with "Unity windows" is that I have 3 monitors, and occasionally if I ever needed to unplug one of them, and if the Unity Editor window (the main window) was in that monitor, it gets transferred to another monitor. Sometimes it goes off-screen (window position being beyond the bounds of any of my monitors), but a simple Shift + Win + Left/Right Arrow hotkey will bring it back. Unfortunately, that doesn't fix the "Unity windows", which will still be off-screen somewhere. At that point, I have no choice but to reset the layout or use Revert Factory Settings in the Windows > Layouts menu.

If only the "Unity windows" actually showed in the taskbar, it would be far easier to manage them.

angrypenguin and joshcamas like this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The most common irritating time I run into this is when I have VS on my 2nd monitor and move the Game View window also to the second monitor. I run the game and monitor things in the hierarchy and scene view and want to go back and forth with VS. Every time I click on the main Editor window it pops the Game View up to the top over VS.

Its a rather minor annoyance, as I just dock the game view back with the main editor window and return to what I was doing, but it would be nice if this behavior was somehow configurable.

angrypenguin and joshcamas like this.
  5. joshcamas

joshcamas

YES! This happens to me as well! I essentially avoid using multiple windows with Unity entirely, except when I absolutely *have* to (Amplify Shader Editor, Profiler, Frame Debugger).

Using any application while using Unity, such as youtube (watching a amplify shader tutorial, for example) is a massive pain due to all of this : (

Joe-Censored likes this.
  6. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hey folks, so the work we're doing on multi document workflows is aimed to solve this and more - we're aiming to deliver separate OS process windows that allow you to make a new workspace into which of course you could dock whatever you need panel wise. It's also useful to open prefabs separately to your main scene when working on multiple displays, as opposed to the overlay mode we have today. We're starting dev work on this in q4 this year, and have already proven the tech is viable in hack weeks to explore the problem, as well as done a lot of design exploration and met with studios on this problem.

7. joshcamas

joshcamas

Woah, prefab window sounds crazy amazing. How would the hierarchy window work though? Would there need to be a hierarchy window for both scene and prefab windows? Understandable if it's too early to know