Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Multitude of Lightbake problems

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by ProffessoVR, Jun 22, 2015.

1. ProffessoVR

ProffessoVR

Hi list, im having quite a few issues here with baking in 5.X (currently 5.1p1)

my scene is entirely static, lights all set to baked only. several hundred objects all standard shader. fairly simple stuff.

1. lightmap artifacts all over the place, seems to be a lot of overlap or smearing on the lightmaps? I have tried every combination I can think of - quality settings/atlas sizes/lightmap scales etc etc

2. large ram usage, i have 64gb in this machine and its still swapping to disk. i'll be testing a 176gb machine next week, but I hope this isnt the norm? (after years of working with UE/Swarm, this single machine baking is painful stuff...)

3. on smaller scenes random objects fail to bake. example - 3 chairs in a room, all duplicates, 2 bake fine but one bakes with artifacts (visible wireframe baked in? we do a lot of archviz projects, and this is a complete showstopper.

4.6 was a LOT more consistent.

Attached Files:

2. GSdev

GSdev

3. j-baeza

j-baeza

Your bug looks like overlapping UVs....

4. ProffessoVR

ProffessoVR

no overlapping uv's

also, why does it affect one model, and not the others?

5. careuno1

careuno1

are you sure that your fbx has activated Generate Lightmap UV

I had the same problem

6. Kragh

Kragh

That issue there I have seen myself. On my end it was because I had an object/mesh without a UV2 channel. That one object was still baked, but baked on top of stuff in the atlas. So, make sure EVERYTHING has a UV2 channel. In Beast such objects would automatically be excluded from the baking, in Enlighten they aren't.

7. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Regarding the memory usage, you can decrease the memory load by setting a lower Realtime GI / Indirect resolution. Also, if you have huge meshes, like a mountain chain as a single mesh, try splitting it up into smaller chunks, so there is a chunk of ground for each localized group of static objects. Long thin triangles on large objects will also create higher memory pressure when they are tessellated to fit the square clusters, compared to more regular triangles.