Search Unity

Multithreaded Rendering in Android Player Settings

Discussion in 'Android' started by Aram-Azhari, Oct 30, 2015.

?

Do you turn on `Multithreaded Rendering` on you Android games?

1. Yes

30.0%
  2. No

20.0%
  3. What's `Multithreaded Rendering`?

50.0%
  1. Aram-Azhari

Aram-Azhari

After moving to Unity 5 (currently on 5.2), I noticed the resource/asset loading during runtime takes longer than expected. For a particular case it takes about 20 seconds before all the assets are loaded.

I was researching to see how I could improve the performance then I came up across the `Multithreaded Rendering` checkbox in Android Player Settings. It reduced the latter time down to 1 second!

I've been looking around release notes and googling to figure out what that means.

Could someone from the Unity team please elaborate on the exact features that are being applied when turning `Multithreaded Rendering` on Android and in general?

Please be as specific as possible.

Thanks.

Nick62 likes this.
  2. Gametyme

Gametyme

I actually just started using it yesterday. Couldn't find much info on it. I don't have a lot of experience with it but I did see a big improvement vs not using it.

3. Aram-Azhari

Aram-Azhari

I get a lot of crashes on Galaxy S5 when I have it turned on, so it's a bit scary to ship the game with this turned on.

Hushe likes this.
  4. Hushe

Hushe

I found the Multithreaded Rendering ("MR") gives a performance boost on most devices, but I am getting crashes on some popular devices such as the Samsung Galaxy A3 (running Android version 5.0.2). From the Unity documentation I thought that MR is automatically turned off for devices that do not support it?

The crashes on the Samsung Galaxy A3 were occurring when attempting to perform operations involving changing the materials of cubes. The materials used are of type "Mobile/Particles/VertexLit Blended".

My game still performs well enough without MR, so I am currently building without MR.

Is there a way to turn MR on / off at runtime, or is it something that gets hard-coded into the Unity Player at build time?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  5. Suduckgames

Suduckgames

Bumped, Anyone can give an aswer to this? I don't know if I should use it or no,

6. Nick62

Nick62

Any news?

7. Er_ellison

Er_ellison

any thing ???????????????????????????????????