Search Unity

Multiple Unity AR projects, merging into same existing xcode project

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by ZassX, Feb 14, 2019.

1. ZassX

ZassX

Hi guys,

never used Unity or anything related to the AR so after a bit of Googling decided to stop here and ask some questions.

We have native iOS application which offers browsing and previewing 360 videos. Now client decided to replace those videos with with AR experiences made in Unity.

I was told that I would get multiple Unity projects that include AR experiences and that those would have to be included into existing application. So there will be a list of all ARs on the first screen and after tapping on any, AR experience would load.

Is that possible? I found a few tutorials but as far as I could understand, Unity loads at the beginning and there was always just integration of one project, not multiple.

Hope someone can help or give any useful advice.

Thanks!

2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

You will likely need to combine the projects into a single unity project and build that out. Running seperate unity programs from a master program is difficult on most platforms, and on iOS its going to be almost impossible.

As far as I am aware you cannot start up another application from an iOS application, due to their security safeguards to stop malware running.

I have not done any iOS development in a couple of years however, so anyone more clued in than me feel free to chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

3. ZassX

ZassX

Thank you for such quick response!

So basically if I understand it right: with the process mentioned above, there is "no way" of having existing native application and depending on the selection of UITableViewCell, showing one of the AR experiences?

The only solution then would probably be to create whole app in Unity.

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Usually yes you would make the whole app in unity. If this was on windows or even mac it may be possible, but on iOS or android you would need it to be all contained within one app, as launching another app from an app is not possible for malware prevention purposes