Search Unity

multiple textures to a single mesh in Blender

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan Czeck, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Title about says it all.

Consider a terrain. You want a certain chunk to be using your rock texture, and another chunk using your grass texture. I don't want to have a single rock/grass texture.

Could anyone provide some hints on how to do this in Blender? Will Unity be able to do this?

-Jon

2. normdwyer

normdwyer

Can Unity do this? I don't know, but I assume it does. this is a very basic requirement for a modern 3D game engine.

Can you do it in Blender? Yes. Easily. In multiple ways. Using Blender's ORCO mode or using UV mapping. Google for 'blender texture tutorial' and you'll find literally dozens of tutorials on the subject. A good introduction to Blender's ORCO mode texturing is...

http://www.enricovalenza.com/textures.html

Norm

3. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Thanks for the information!

It seems that it doesn't "transfer" to Unity. Sucky.

-Jon

4. normdwyer

normdwyer

If i'm not mistaken (and i probably am) only meshes are imported from Blender. Blender has no FBX support and therefore doesn't transfer as much data. That's a gross oversimplification, based on ignorance. I love Blender. Especially the modeling tools, but most everything else as well. But for Unity i've been doing my modeling in Blender, exporting as .obj. and then importing this to Maya for texturing, etc. This of course requires having Maya.

Cheetah is a recommended program as well, and I believe it is adding FBX support(?) The price is right. But alas, no character animation tools. No bones, skinning, rigging, etc.

Norm

5. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

I have Cheetah 3D, but it is completely lacking in proper UV mapping tools which makes it pretty unusable for games. It's on the developer's mountainous TODO list. I think I'm stuck with Blender for this project, unless a miracle happens. I've been heckling for FBX functionality with Blender for a while. A few Google searches turns up many of my friendly hecklings. :(

Maybe I should get off my developer arse and figure out how to do it myself? :)

I think I can work around the issue for this game. The first level is looking really wonderful to me after tonight's work through Matt, my artist, tireless reworking of the terrain texture and mapping. I couldn't have got it looking this good without Unity, I know that for a fact. Just tweaking the ambient and haze colors with instant feedback did me a wonder of good.

Sorry I can't post some delectable screenshots. ;)

Cheers,
    -Jon