Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

multiple simultaneous ECS worlds for large world mmo

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Mieng, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Mieng

Mieng

Hi,
    I’m wondering if running multiple ECS worlds simultaneously on a server , where each ECS world runs a part of the larger game world and players are transferred between them seamlessly, could be a feasible way of dealing with floating point precision issues for a large open world mmorpg style game?

And would this then be a better approach then running, for example, multiple unity instances on the same server?

2. runner78

runner78

I once had an idea to build a space game with different worlds, a world for global simulations with doubles, and a normal world is just a local representation with origin shifting.

But for an MMO I don't think that's the best way to go, normally the individual areas are managed by different servers.
    Or a unity instance for an area that runs on an exclusive core

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

I would probably just use shared component when needed, for identifying worlds. Some entities probably don't need to be identified on other world and can be processed with other entities, even from different world. This way optimising chunks utilisation. If using multi worlds, then you will fragment work on scheduled jobs. Probably unneceseirly in various cases.

Having shard component as a world identificator, you can easily add and remove worlds, and yet keep optimal performance together.