Search Unity

Multiple problems with Unity 2019

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by NathanJeeves, Oct 27, 2019.

1. NathanJeeves

NathanJeeves

Hey all,

I'm really interested in learning the unity DOTS stack,

I have been trying to follow codemonkeys ECS tutorials to get myself started,

I started in 2019.1 My problem is that even though I have installed the package manager, VS17 can not find the Unity.Entities namespace when I try add it up the top.

I havent been able to find a solution for this, I'm really enthusiastic to learn and use ECS but this makes it almost impossible

2. siggigg

siggigg

Are you using assembly definition files? You probably haven't added a reference to the entities package.

BackgroundMover likes this.
  3. NathanJeeves

NathanJeeves

I did it through package manager, I thought its supposed to be automatic?

4. siggigg

siggigg

Not if you use assembly def files. But if you don't know what they are, you probably aren't using them :)

5. NathanJeeves

NathanJeeves

Is there anywhere I can get guidance on this?

6. BackgroundMover

BackgroundMover

An alternative problem might be that you had an existing compile error before you brought in the entities package, I think there needs to be a clean compile in order for packages to become visible. I'd suggest commenting out your code that causes compile errors regarding entities, then see if there are OTHER compile errors, then fix those.

Asmdef files let you tell Unity to put your code into a separate DLL than the default ones. If you opened someone elses existing project versus starting from scratch, they might have used asmdefs without you realizing it