Search Unity

Multiple GPU Rendering for Cinematics

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by JabbaTheNut, Feb 25, 2019.

1. JabbaTheNut

JabbaTheNut

I am considering Unity for animated short films. My computer has multiple nVidia GPUs. It was originally built with GPU rendering in mind (Redshift, VRay, etc.). Does Unity support multiple GPUs for rendering (or other tasks)? Please note, my GPUs are not configured as SLI.

2. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

Hi @JabbaTheNut, this question is better for the Graphics forum: https://forum.unity.com/forums/general-graphics.76/

'Rendering' is something which would need clarifying. There's in-editor real-time rendering, then rendering when you hit play and the project runs, then rendering if you make some form of executable application and run that and then there's rendering if you say use the Unity Recorder to output frames to make a movie.

What flavour of rendering are you planning?

3. JabbaTheNut

JabbaTheNut

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your response. I am interested in making animated short films with Unity. Typically, I would do this in Redshift (taking advantage of multiple GPU rendering). In Unity, I wanted to know if I can take advantage of multiple GPUs for rendering output frames to make a movie (e.g., via Unity Recorder).

4. JabbaTheNut

JabbaTheNut

Hi Adam,

Given the lack of follow-through, I take it your question to me was rhetorical?