Search Unity

Multiple Developer Work space over VNC

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SethProaps, Mar 13, 2019.

1. SethProaps

SethProaps

I am wondering if it would be viable for a team of two to work on a game, but from different places. My idea is one of us would have the computer with the actual game and file system and the other one would work over a vnc connection to the host laptop. Please let me know if you think this would work or if you have done it.

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Is "the computer with the actual game" the same system as the host laptop? Why not just have both systems running Unity separately, and use source control/collaboration between the two?

3. SethProaps

SethProaps

What is source control/collaboration, we are new to unity.

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Google is your friend. Source code control and collaboration is not specific to Unity. Basically you run Unity on each machine, and copy the project back and forth (simply put). Source control allows you do this without losing any updates if you are both working on the same project. Unity Collaborate is one solution https://unity3d.com/unity/features/collaborate

5. SethProaps

SethProaps

Ok, but what we were thinking is like in Google Docs where two people can work at the same time with live feed.

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

"live feed" of what? Source control gives you a "live feed" of your project (in very simple terms). Each machine needs to be running Unity, if that is your question.

7. SethProaps

SethProaps

By live feed I mean where we can look at least same thing that's happening in the exitor., I will definitely look into source control.

8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Happening in the editor, on which machine? You both would be running Unity, and seeing what's happening in the Editor. You definitely don't want to try to stream 90 frames per second over the network, if that is what you mean. What is the issue here? Is one machine not powerful enough to run Unity? VNC will be even slower!

9. SethProaps

SethProaps

No , but what your talking about seems like it is what I'm looking for, I'll try it.