Search Unity

Bug Multiple bug report.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Raitoning, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Raitoning

Raitoning

Hi everyone,

I haven't reported any bugs from the Linux beta build, so I'm creating this thread where I will report all bug/glitches I found or I experienced.

• Bug #1: Detached tabs can't be resized.
      Severity: High (UI)
      Found in version(s): All Ubuntu beta releases.
      Description: If you detach a tab from the main window, you won't be able to resize it or put it in full screen ( or it may work with a huge lot of chance ). This bug nearly prevent you from using Unity on a multiple monitors setup.

• Bug #2: Detached tabs go down and out of the screen if moved.
      Description: If you detach a tab from the main window, it will go down and finally out of the screen if you try to move it with your mouse. This bug kind of require some special things to be done ( Moving a tab right after launching the editor should works, but no more after a few minutes or clicks in the editor). This bug nearly prevent you from using Unity on a multiple monitors setup.

• Bug #3: Information ballons doesn't go away from their own.
      Severity: Low (UI)
      Description: When you hover your mouse over some settings of a script, component, etc..., an information balloon will pop-up to tell you what this setting will change. However, it won't go away after an amount of time or if you move your mouse from the setting. You either need to click somewhere else or point anything else in the editor to have it to go away.

• Bug #4: MonoDevelop-Unity randomly crashes.
      Severity: Major bug ( Full software )
      Description: The MonoDevelop-Unity built-in editor can randomly crash, even if it's pretty rare ( maybe happened to me twice in a day, or even less ). Crashes mostly happen when compiling scripts.
      Attention: the original MonoDevelop release from the official website also crashes. It may not be related to Unity customisations, and maybe Unity Technologies won't be able to fix this bug. However, MonoDevelop-Unity crahes way less than the original release.

• Bug #5: Screen position error report when Unity starts.
      Severity: Harmless ?
      Description: When you start the editor, it may report this error:
      Circumstances are unknown. May be related to the fact that I have the Game tab detached from the main window.

• Bug #6: Mouse operations are not shown in the hirerachy, and maybe other tabs.
      Description: If you try to do some drag'n'drop operations such as putting a script from the Project tab to the Inspector tab (or any other tab, mainly the Hierarchy), you got no visual feedback from what's going on, and you end thinking what you try to do doesn't work. But on Windows release, you see what's happening by seeing a blue rectangle around the GameObject name or anything else.

• Bug #7: Not refreshing the Game tab will mess it content.
      Severity: Low (UI)
      Description: If you don't touch ( no mouse over or anything ) the Game tab for a little amout of time, it content will be messed up, mainly text. The simple action of hovering the mouse over it will refresh the Game tab and things will be OK again, until next time the bug appear.

• Bug #8: The editor keeps eating 25% of the CPU.
      Severity: Medium (Software)
      Description: The editor constantly keep using 25% of the total CPU performances, over all cores. However, going into Play mode will reduce the amount of power eaten to the same amount (more or less) used in the Windows release.

Now I will post some remarks about strange editor behaviors that may be related to bugs or anything else.

• Remarks #1: Game tab will fill up empty space strangely.
      Description: If all space in the Game tab is not used by game visualisation, the editor will put the visualisation at the bottom of the tab and fill the remaining space with gray color. Bug or different behavior from the OS ?

I think this are all the bugs and things I saw that wasn't acting as supposed to. I will continue to fill this thread again and again with all bugs, glitches and remark I got on the Linux beta release. BTW, sorry for any mistakes I could have done, my English is not that good.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    LukaKotar likes this.
  2. Raitoning

Raitoning

Hi again, I've just spotted another bug, this is my report
    • Bug #9: Going out of the Asset store will make the editor unusable.
      Found in version(s): Unity 5.2.2 Build #2015101801.
      Description: When going out of the Asset Store, all the space it took will be filled in a beige-like colour and nothing can be done after until restart of the editor.

3. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

Bug #8
    Do you have four (logical) cores? On my 8 years old dual-core non hyper-threading Thinkpad, the editor uses 50%. It seems to fully utilize one core the whole time.

Btw., did you have problems with the editor sometimes not updating it's GUI for several seconds? I have experienced this problem on multiple Ubuntu 15.04 distros on different machines.

4. Raitoning

Raitoning

Hi,

For bug #8, I got four physical core on my main machine and the Editor sucks 25% of each core, so 25% of all CPU time. It is the same on my laptop, 2 physical + 2 logical ( hyperthreading ), 25% of each core.

For the interface bug, I mostly have it on the Game and Scene tab, I didn't payed attention if I have it everywhere, I'll have to check that.

5. Tyler-Egeto

Tyler-Egeto

I was seeing something similar, it was pretty consistent making the editor unusable. While seeing it, my project files were located on a different drive then my OS and Editor install. I brushed it off as a problem with my disk, since moving the files to the same drive resolved the issue, so I never investigated further. But thought it was worth mentioning.