Search Unity

Question Multiple Bindings VFX Graph

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by Entchenklein, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Entchenklein

Entchenklein

I am currently trying to get Multiple Bindings from Objects in the Scene to the VFX Graph

I am currently using the Multiple Position Binder
    Unity VFX Graph Multiple Position Binder.PNG
    This one Will output me a Texture2D and a Integer that represents how many positions i am storing in the Texture2D

Unity VFX Graph Position Array.PNG
    Getting the positions out of the Texture isnt a problem ether

The problem comes when i want to use thous positions as for example points that apply velocity to nearby particles i cant realy iterate over thous points and have a effect over other particles

I basically want to do something like this
    https://imgur.com/sbGsYLH
    but with a variable amount of Capsules

Thanks in Advance
    Entchenklein

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  2. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

hello u can use something called 'perlin noise' like in this video

3. Entchenklein

Entchenklein

unfortunately this doesnt help i am already using perlin noise for the wave effect
    but i want to have positions that essentially lay on top of the perlin noise creating dents (where the Pill is) like in the gif i sent
    but i dont just want one dent i want a variable amount of dents for example when i have 3 players i want 3 dents that follow the players around

4. pjbaron

pjbaron

I think you can get that effect for a fixed amount of capsules by writing a graph with multiple position properties. Each position property would affect the y value of a grid of particles (which is doing the wave effect) by adding a force proportional to distance from the particle to the point.

I don't see a way of doing it for an arbitrary number of capsules - you'll have to choose a maximum limit and include that many copies of the shader sub-graph all linked to individual properties.

Steps would be:
    - CPU: set the properties for all capsule locations
    - spawn/initialise particles in a grid
    - apply wave calculations as forces towards the correct wave height
    - in update include stack of capsule force graphs (using a unique property each)
    - calculate force based on distance
    - cancel x,z components of force
    - apply remaining y direction force to particle
    - output the particle

5. Entchenklein

Entchenklein

thats unfortunately the problem
    thank you for you input yeah thats unfortunately exactly my problem i dont want to duplicate things in the graph if it was for like one or two things i would probably do it like this but unfortunately i want to have it pritty dynamic

6. theman224

theman224

Been working on this myself. Not an expert, but this seems to works for me. The node Getattribute Spawnindex gets the particle index of each spawned particle and i use that index to walk through the sampletexture2d. That way i can get to the bound Gameobjects (in editor, but working on making it runtime). Basically i am making a trail system where one VFX graph can be used for the trails of 10.000 gameobjects (Soon too be ECS Entities). Each trail is a particle attached to a gameobject (or ECS entity) and each particle spawns a ribbon for the trail.

Attached Files:

dreamer2017helloworld likes this.