Search Unity

Feedback Multiple audio clips from single wave

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rsodre, Apr 2, 2020.

1. rsodre

rsodre

Hey Unity,

One of the features I've been wishing every year for the past decade is some improvement on the Audio Clip Import Settings. And no one gets it...

This happens on every project. I have all my audio assets ready, but I realize that I want to split some wave in several parts, or remove some unnecessary silence at the start/end, or I just like the Tick part of a Tick-Tack. Instead of sending it back to the studio just for trimming, or using Audacity to edit the waves and probably destroy the careful work of the audio designer when re-exporting, wouldn't it be much wiser to just trim in the importer Inspector?

Or better! Do it exactly as you do when importing animations from an fbx file, allow us to create multiple clips from the wave, setting in and out points. This will make our life so much easier!

Please consider...

Roger

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    ron-bohn likes this.
  2. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

You can fade audio in or out via script, but I'm not aware of built-in for trimming. Master Audio is quite powerful. The timeline could also work depending on your use-case.

If you're just trimming in Audacity or similar and using a 24-bit wav file for example, you're not going to lose anything noticeable re-exporting it after you trim it. That's why us audio engineers prefer high quality source files...so we can do that in a pinch :) To be safe, if your audio is 44.1khz then export at 44.1khz.. If it's 48 khz then export at 48khz. If you want to experiment, I would be happy to check your export compared to the original and suggest tweaking. That way you can find your ideal settings for exporting these and move on with life :)

3. rsodre

rsodre

I've learned to do all that, and I'm moving on.
    It's just that Unity could give us so much more useful options when importing audio.

Another practical use case for my request:
    I can record 10 minutes of audio, import the whole Wave and extract dozens of audio clips from it in Unity, instead of using an external tool to trim the exact final clips I want into dozens of files. Any changes need to go back and forth to the audio tool, unnecessarily.

ron-bohn likes this.
  4. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

That sound kind of like the legacy animation workflow, but for audio. I like the idea of it. It's really nice to use 3d tools like probuilder and not have to leave the editor. Such a feature for audio would undoubtedly save time. I wonder what hurdles there might be in building this.

5. harini

harini

Unity Technologies

Hey rsodre,
    Thank you for your feedback! I have moved your feedback to our internal product board and it will triaged by Product management.

Cheers,
    Harini

ron-bohn and rsodre like this.
  6. rsodre

rsodre