Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Feature Request Multiple App IDs for Steam Integration

Discussion in 'Authentication' started by dchipman, Sep 1, 2022.

1. dchipman

dchipman

When utilizing Steam's Playtest feature, a child app is generated with a separate app ID. As far as I can tell, only a single Steam app ID can be assigned to a UGS project at a time, and I haven't seen a way in the Authentication SDK to customize it at runtime. This means auth can only work for the base app or the playtest app, but not both at the same time and must be manually changed back and forth.

Is there an existing way to resolving this? If not, please add a path to allow assigning multiple app IDs to a single project, or the ability to pass it as part of SignInWithSteamAsync. Thanks!

2. SebT_Unity

SebT_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi dchipman,
    Thanks for posting on the forums.

At the moment there isn't a way to solve this. However the team is interested in learning more about this use case.
    This would only be for testing purposes?

I look forward to your response.

3. dchipman

dchipman

Hi Seb, It could be for both marketing (demos) and testing purposes, both internal and external facing. Some external facing use cases would be:
    • Launching a demo app on Steam
    • Launching a playtest app on Steam
    • Supporting a parallel PTR (public test realm) app on Steam for a live game
    I believe in all of these cases a new app ID is assigned to each child app on Steam, which means auth will break due to the mismatch. For cases where only one will be accessible at a time the current method is usable albeit cumbersome to switch between which app is currently needed in use, but as soon as someone needs two in parallel (such as a demo or PTR), this will not be possible to do while using Steam integrated Unity auth unless multiple app IDs are supported.

For internal testing purposes, I've previously worked at studios which used multiple Steam apps for testing multiple builds in parallel instead of branches so that QA could have both builds installed at the same time, which would be another use case.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    SebT_Unity likes this.