Search Unity

1. Read here for Unity's latest plans on OpenXR.
    Dismiss Notice

Multiple APKs, one for ARCore supported devices and other for unsupported ones?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by juvelezm, Sep 24, 2020.

1. juvelezm

juvelezm

Multiple APKs, one APK for ARCore supported devices and other APK for unsupported ones? this could be done?

I am wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction:

I am developing an AR app using ARCore, but ARCore is quite limited in compatibility, even 2020 brand new devices could be ARCore unsupported, so I've decide to write 2 version of the same app:

1. The Main APP: ARCore required with URP & post processing for several FX, about 45fps on mid-high range devices, with a decent Image Tracking performance, not as good as Vuforia, but acceptable. The problem with this app is it is supported just by 635 devices according to the Play Store Device Catalogue available after upload the APK

2. The alternative APP: Doesn't require ARCore, because I've used a 3rd party AR engine, but this engine doesn't support URP, so this version will use the built in render and no post processing, this app could run up to 20fps on low range devices, 30fps on mid-range like MotoG5, and up to 60fps on high-range ones.

So the question is: I need to upload both APKs but I want APK for APP 1 be available only for ARCore supported devices, and APK for APP 2 be available only to the NOT ARCore supported devices, this way my app could be available to thousands of devices instead of a few hundreds.

Is this can be done?, how could achieve that?, I will appreciate a lot any light on this matter.

2. DreamPower

DreamPower

Pretty sure you can do half of that - one of the ARCore settings in Unity is ARCore Required, that tells the Google Play Store to not list it to incompatible devices.

3. juvelezm

juvelezm

I've managed to understand the way how I must publish APKs to support the widest compatibility coverage.

My exact case was:

1. One APK for non ARCore devices with the lower version code (3rd party AR engine like Easy AR, Void AR, etc)
    2. One APK for ARCore supported devices, ARCore Required flag, and with the higher version code

This way the oldest devices that doesn't support ARCore will receive the first APK, and the newest devices that support ARCore will receive the second APK due to the higher version code, the ARCore Required flag help avoid oldest devices to receive the higher version code APK.

unityunity