Search Unity

Multiple Animation Controllers

Discussion in 'Animation' started by ZokMoney, Jul 29, 2020.

1. ZokMoney

ZokMoney

So I am developing a game that is really centered around a single character that is going to have a massive amount of animation. Along with that as the character develops the animations will change. So there will be multiple animations for walking based on the character progression (and running and jumping and idling and the 50 different things the character will do throughout the game). What I would like to do is have a separate animation controller for each stage of the characters development, to avoid having to specify which walk to use, which run to use every-time. I could just deactivate the base animator and activate the next advanced animator, then there is absolutely nothing to change. The game just progresses and the new animations start running. Unity won't let me attach multiple animators to my character. Is this possible, and if so, how?

2. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

You can just change the animator.runtimeAnimatorController.

You might also be interested in Animancer (link in my signature), which lets you skip Animator Controllers and have your scripts play animations directly. That way you don't need to maintain massive state machines with every possible action and can properly compartmentalise your logic however you like.