Search Unity

Question Multiple animation controllers per body part for Player prefab vs single animation controller

Discussion in 'Animation' started by MarsJr, Apr 8, 2023.

1. MarsJr

MarsJr

Hello! I am following a Unity tutorial where the character has several animations/states. Normal things like IdleDown, MoveLeft, UseToolRight, etc...

The Player prefab has several objects inside like so:

Player

> body

> arms

> head

Each "body part" has its own animation controller which is exactly the same for each body part. It has all of the various states (Idle, Run, UseTool, etc..) with specific animations created for each body part to do things like update the SpriteRenderer for each animation.

My question boils down to this: Is there any benefit to doing it this way? I initially had it set up with a single "Player" animation controller attached to the parent Player object, and for the various states, I just applied the correct sprite renderer updates to each of the child body parts. Am I going to hit a limitation at some point by doing it this way?

I believe maybe it has something to do with doing animation overrides when you start getting into things like tool variants, or having characters with multiple shirts/hats so you would need to have different sprites for each animation depending on some factors. Maybe it's easy to swap out animations vs manually tracking all of the various sprite variations?

Edit: To clarify, this is just for a basic 2D pixel art game.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023