Search Unity

Multiplayer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rant, Jan 4, 2006.

1. rant

rant

I checked Torque and it has a nice Multiplayer Feature. Can we expect something like that in UNITY3d too or do we have to code it by yourself? That would be a pain in the ass UDP/TCP ... urks...

2. DK

DK

I too am very interested about multiplayer. Networking is an extremely complex feature with good games and I don't want to have to learn how to do it by hand. I saw in some other forum articles that you guys promised some Unity easy ways to do networking around the release of 1.0 or so, but I don't see any multiplayer features listed in your whitepaper or overview of Unity. Has this been accomplished or will I have to wait for another version?

Also, if you have or will release networking multiplayer the easy way, will you also include a single screen multiplayer system, i.e. multiple screens within one screen?

3. Sync1B

Sync1B

They have said and I quote "It is in the cards to do an easy to use network library, but when is not decided yet." It will come soon enough and it doesnt hurt to learn some of that stuff. I am pretty sure jon has actually used the socket library already in unity to send rigidbody information across a network. (I think it was jon)

About the multi-screen, you can do this already with the current version of untiy. There are a few widgets that use this to do things like a rear view camera.

I also want to do a multiplayer game, but I think it's wise to start with some thing smaller. Get to know unity. Maybe you can start your project now and wait for a network library to be made?

Bill