Search Unity

Multiplayer web games

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by MikeHergaarden, Mar 10, 2008.

1. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

I'm planning to create single- and multiplayer based web games.

However, is this doable with clients/players behind routers&firewalls ?

I will be able to host a masterserver on an static IP.

Would players behind routers easily be able to connect to other players ? (1 of them will host the game).
    Or are routers (sometimes) a problem here ? If so, how often.

On this subject; is there any difference between a web game, and a deployed(downloadable) game ?

2. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

1. The NAT filtering option will help this A LOT. There still may be configurations where the connection won't get through, but Otee did such a great job on the networking code that this should be a rare case. I've tried the networking code from within a network that is (pretty much) locked down, to a router at my home address that refuses virtually anything on the planet (usually things I want to do!) and it worked without a hitch.

As long as your master server is on a static IP and accessible to a reasonable degree, you should see the network code functioning just as it should!

2. There should be little difference between the two. Of course, there may be issues between Mac and PC (gamma is a big one I've noticed) but on the whole my Unity projects so far have worked the same in all three IDE, standalone and browser. Of course, you start getting into more issues with a browser-based web game like download sizes and streaming etc. but Unity makes it pretty easy to deal with and, again, Otee have done a great job on making this stuff just 'work'.

Hope it helps,
    Jeff.

3. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Thanks, this is very clear then :).

On the IRC channel I also heared they were looking in to adding routing for NATs where punch trough doesn't work (this should fix the few rare cases).

*solved*