Search Unity

Multiplayer solutions for large-scale (Battle Royale) game modes?

Discussion in 'Web' started by AnthonyPalma, Jan 3, 2020.

1. AnthonyPalma

AnthonyPalma

Hey all!

My team and I are working on a Battle Royale, and I'm trying to figure out the best server/netcode solution available for Unity, particularly for WebGL builds. The Photon/PUN general consensus is that it's not good for large-scale rooms due to the message rate limitations (only 500 messages per second per room). I do see an Android game with 32 players per room, so maybe it's possible? Would love some feedback either way. Also, while they offer a server SDK that I could theoretically put on my own servers, given it only utilizes WebSockets for WebGL builds, it seems like there's an opportunity to do better on my own.

Amazon wrote a post about using GameLift to create a Battle Royale, but they used the now-deprecated UNet (which didn't work with WebGL anyway). GameLift seems like a good option, but I need to figure out a framework that I can use in Unity with GameLift in WebGL builds, or just write my own as a worst case scenario.

Looking forward to anyone's thoughts!

Thanks,
    -Anthony

2. roka

roka

First, i think that you should contact Photon by email at developer@photonengine.com
    Im' sure that they can give you more informations for something like this.

Because of the cost by using Photon, i should try to setup a quick server with socket.io (https://socket.io/)
    I have made the Lobby Chat of my 2 game with socket io and everything work fine.
    I do not have the skill of making a complet server solution for a game, but maybe your team have it.

3. AnthonyPalma

AnthonyPalma

Thanks, @roka. I've seen a few threads on the Photon forums where devs basically said Photon isn't ideal for large user numbers per room, but you're right that I should at least contact them directly and see what they say.

As for socket.io, I took a look at that, as well as peerjs and geckos.io. Geckos seems to be targeted at real-time multiplayer with authoritative servers, whereas Socket is better for chat apps and turn-based multiplayer (probably due to latency differences in communication methods. So Socket could work, but it might not be any better than Photon.

I'll keep digging!

4. xKosta

xKosta

Hi Anthony,
    which multiplayer solution did you choose?

vasu23gupta likes this.