Search Unity

Multiplayer solution for Steam/Xbox/PS4

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by TheDogtoy, Mar 7, 2017.

1. TheDogtoy

TheDogtoy

Hi,
    We are currently using BOLT for multiplayer on steam but plan to go steam, xbox, and ps4 with our next product.

We are looking for a peer to peer solution that can evolve into a dedicated server model. (For the product after) We are looking for a solution that has some of the hard problems solved for us. E.g. databases, login, store, ect...

Is there a particular solution we should be looking at?

2. Stanchion

Stanchion

Bolt supports all these platforms

3. mofirouz

mofirouz

@TheDogtoy For user accounts, game storage, and a bunch of other features you could look at Nakama server. It’s a distributed realtime game server I work on. It doesn’t support peer to peer based multiplayer but uses a dedicated server model. I’m about to complete some work to integrate Lua as a fast script runtime so you can easily handle game state authoritatively on the server. Drop into the community chat if you’re interested and I’ll help as best I can :)

TwoTen likes this.
  4. TheDogtoy

TheDogtoy

I misspoke a bit about Bolt. It is multiplatform very much aimed toward peer to peer. It doesn't do a lot of the heavy lifting if you need a primarily peer to peer solution that also integrates with a dedicated server. I may be able to use bolt + photon (zeus isn't there yet as far as I can tell)

5. TheDogtoy

TheDogtoy

I'll check out Nakama. Thanks!

6. Stanchion

Stanchion

What specifically do you need? The new Bolt has relay + punchthrough + matchmaking, and has an SDK just for dedicated servers. Contact support@boltengine.com for details

7. TheDogtoy

TheDogtoy

Great I'll email support at Bolt. We are looking for a dedicated server with login, database, and store all built in so we don't have to build it. We want to use the dedicated server just for player account/checkout and a cheat checking, letting everything else be peer to peer.

8. lizistorm

lizistorm

Hi TheDogtoy,

I'm in your same situation. What solution are you finally use?

9. TheDogtoy

TheDogtoy

We are using photon at the moment though we switched platforms and are only on PS4 at the moment.

10. devil_is_god

devil_is_god

We are developping our game using bolt (1.4.0.f) in unity (2017.2.3f).That is a wonderful tool, but we want to know if Bolt support PS4 platform?Because our game will be transferred to PS4 from PC, but we meet some problems for this. So we want to know if bolt support ps4 platform? how we do it?

We will be appreciated that if you can introduce the solution and some ps4 product using bolt. Thank you !

PS: there are some errors below:
    01:20:51 ExecutionEngineException: Attempting to JIT compile method 'System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2<UnityEngine.SceneManagement.Scene, Bolt.SceneVariables>:.ctor ()' while running with --aot-only.
    01:20:51
    01:20:51 at Ludiq.SceneSingleton`1[Bolt.SceneVariables]..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    01:20:51 Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Ludiq.SceneSingleton`1
    01:20:51 at Bolt.SceneVariables.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    01:20:51

11. Stanchion

Stanchion

I think you're confusing Ludiq Bolt and Photon Bolt.

12. CyberInteractiveLLC

CyberInteractiveLLC

if you're talking about Photon Bolt, I believe I saw in their website that Bolt is not yet supporting PS4...

"Supports all major unity platforms - Bolt runs on Windows, OSX, iOS, Android, GNU/Linux, and Xbox One. PS4 and Nintendo Switch are being worked on."

https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/bolt/current/getting-started/overview