Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Multiplayer service for fast racing game, low CCU?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by kai_226, Apr 8, 2019.

1. kai_226

kai_226

Hello everyone,

I need an advice about the right service for implementing multiplayer into my game. Unfortunately I don't have much experience in multiplayer game development yet. I did read about UNET/replacement, PUN, TNet3, Mirror... but I am not too sure about what would be the best service. Here are the conditions:

It is a pretty fast racing game with speeds > 300km/h [hint: latency]. A maximum of 7 people can race against each other per session. I would like to implement the possibility to choose or open a room in a lobby and chat with the other contestants before the match begins.

Currently I am pretty much the only person working on the game. I don't expect it to become very big or famous so I doubt there will be very high multiplayer activity. I predict that I don't need a high CCU count.

Personally, I like the approach to pay only once and have everything running, like advertised in TNet3. Mirror seems to be completely free but none of the solutions I found scream "Hey, this fits nicely for fast paced racing games" - especially since I have elements in it that are destructive and need to be synced over the network [like in Split/Second]. So it's not only 7 player Transforms that need to be synced continuously, but also AI, weapons and some bigger physical scenery elements aswell.

So I am curious what you would recommend to me :)