Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[MULTIPLAYER] MINATURE SURVIVAL GAME

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by SebastianMaj, Dec 14, 2015.

1. SebastianMaj

SebastianMaj

This is a multiplayer survival game that my team is currently working on, the main difference from other survival games is the enemies are ghosts rather than zombies or other creatures. Our team feels that Ghosts will create a fun experience full of excitement as they will add a whole new level of behaviour and gameplay to the multiplayer survival genre. I will post a preview link of current screenshots below.

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/baI8H

The game does not have a name at the moment, feel free to comment ideas for a name. If chosen I will place you under the credits at release as Name Chosen by: (name)

=Don't Forget=
    Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest updates from us at http://wolftechgames.com/contact/index.html

Thank you,
    WolfTechGames CEO | Sebastian Maj

2. Mauri

Mauri

It seems odd to me to shoot Ghosts with an AK-47, Glock or similar weapons...

3. tedthebug

tedthebug

Ghost Recon? :p

What does the player do to survive the ghosts? As in, how do they stop them? I'm assuming the rest is similar to minecraft & other survival games where you find resources & build a base etc?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. SebastianMaj

SebastianMaj

Haha those weapons are temporary but once the new weapons are in they will be similar, I feel it wouldn't be as fun to shoot other players with a sci-fi gun or anything other than a normal gun.

Ghost Recon is pretty good, it may just be me but when you say it, it does't really roll of the tongue too well. You stop the ghosts by shooting them, there will be different types of ghosts for example, the normal one that will just walk on the ground normally, then another that will be able to go through walls and another one that may be able to teleport or fly still deciding on the last one.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Dam I love your website!! :)

6. SebastianMaj

SebastianMaj

Thanks :D Stew made it, he is really good with creative things.

7. tedthebug

tedthebug

Given all your digger games you could've made a game as a dwarf miner encountering goblins, dark elves etc :)

8. SebastianMaj

SebastianMaj

Sounds like fun! :D I will consider it as a future project as I already dedicated myself to this project. I just added chat + command support to it which checks if your an admin in the database but thats global admin so I will need to figure out how I will add server admin support.

9. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hey I remember this! ;)
    A different style than what I initially thought about - but its all about gameplay so the style shouldn't really matter.

Seems like ghosts should be fought with either super natural powers, energy or magic.

You may consider 'bioshock' kind of powers - but maybe inherited or gained through the interactions with the environment. Maybe this energy/power can be stored in some type of natural container or just gained and stored up to allow the players to handle the ghost enemies in specific ways based on the type of energy/power used.
    Throw in a little ghostbusters - but survival like so the ghost energy (depending upon the type) can also be used/consumed for extra effects (buffs and such).

Just some ideas that might be interesting.
    :)

10. SebastianMaj

SebastianMaj

Since many of you requested I will look into special weapons that differ from other games later on in development as that will also take quite a bit of work. Also does anyone know where I could create and add humanoid animations, unity is not allowing this. Here is a screenshot:

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

You have to use a 3d art package, like Blender3d or Maya or something. Blender is free but its difficult to get a handle on. At some point the software becomes really simple, but the learning curve is like a wall. Unity is not an art creation tool. Unity has something called Mecanim I think and that's just for chaining your animations together so they flow.

12. SebastianMaj

SebastianMaj

I tried using Blender but as you said the learning curve is huge and I couldn't figure out what to do after I imported the .fbx file, I have done modelling in it before but I have never done any animations within Blender.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

I wish I could help you man. Its tough finding tutorials on it, but there is Wiki for the latest version, there's a wikibook (I don't know how current it is but definitely worth checking out), and there's a tutorials on YouTube.

If you can spare the cash, go to DigitalTutors.com or Lynda.com and get an account there. There's more tutorials there than you could ever need or want! Since I'm going to a University right now I've got a free account with them through the school. I watched like 2 hours one night of just blender tutorials and it really helped!!

Wiki: https://www.blender.org/manual/
    Wikibook: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

Remember Blender is the best free resource we have as game devs for 3d art. It may be difficult to learn to use but its free and its really high quality!

3d art and blender in general is just something you have to invest time in to using/learning if you're serious about it. You can also pick up photoshop for like ten bucks a month for a year now.

14. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

As long as your model matches the humanoid bone structure you can use any other mecanim compatible animations temporarily just to get game play working.
    Later - to create custom created animations you will need to create these externally, or get an animator to help you out.

You may also try https://www.nukeygara.com/
    Not nearly as complex as other animation packages and seems to have a user friendly workflow.

15. SebastianMaj

SebastianMaj

Thanks for the info, I will have a look and see what animations I can find. That link seems like a really cool peice of software, too bad it doesn't have a free version for commercial use but everyone needs to make a living one way or another.

16. sokki

sokki

Looking ghostly fun, Wolf Tech! What platform you aim for the game, Steam, Mobile, web? :)

17. SebastianMaj

SebastianMaj

I am looking to get it onto Steam if possible just need to get greenlit! :D

18. SebastianMaj

SebastianMaj

I will post a new update tomorrow on what I have added. Lots of graphical changes + features.

Merry Christmas,
    Sebastian Maj

19. woodsynzl

woodsynzl

Really like the multiplayer server setup, may I ask how you achieved this as I'm trying, and it feels like trying to code a brick wall

20. SebastianMaj

SebastianMaj

I personally for this project use an asset called TNet which is my personal favorite but there are many more such as photon bolt or photon real-time. Each of the listed assets come with a master server solution that allows you to register servers on it upon creation which can then later be requested on the player.

21. Lukamyte

Lukamyte

I think, since you are going with a top-down view, it might be cool if you added some FoV(like http://www.teleglitch.com/) to instill some slight realism and intensity. I've done it before, so, since you are already in top-down bird's eye view, you would simply place tall, black cubes above walls and whatnot, and perspective will black out areas you shouldn't logically be able to see. I hope I explained this enough to be of use.

22. SebastianMaj

SebastianMaj

Currently in the process of deciding wether not I should restart and use Bolt rather than TNET. Hard choices... :/

23. SebastianMaj

SebastianMaj

Alright we have decided to use Bolt for networking thanks to some valuable information given to us by a fellow member on this forum. After a week of using it I am amazed at how easy and powerful it is. The only con I have ran into was I had to create the save and load system myself but it wasn't too much so that's ok. As soon as we get further in I will share some screenshots here.