Search Unity

1. The 2022.1 beta is now available for testing. To find out what's new, have a look at our 2022.1 beta blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Multiplayer in unity

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by vanshsneakatksqd, Nov 29, 2021.

1. vanshsneakatksqd

vanshsneakatksqd

Hi, can anybody tell me a free and simple option to make a multiplayer game in unity personal with an unlimited rooms option where each room contains around 5 players?
    Please I really need to know this

2. jbnlwilliams1

jbnlwilliams1

3. vanshsneakatksqd

vanshsneakatksqd

I know about photon but i have heard that it only allows 20 players to play the whole multiplayer game

4. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Have you ever made any games that was played by people more than 20 at any given time?

BTW, Steam Relay is free if you publish there (obviously not free to publish). Also Epic Online Services is free.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  5. vanshsneakatksqd

vanshsneakatksqd

No i havent made any game with more than 20 player playing at a time but by chance if it does many won't be able to play

Ok so if i publish the game on steam as well as play store or itch.io then i can use steam relay right?

6. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Then FYI: if you have 20 CCU (and they aren't your workmates in the office or classmates in the labor - IDK how old you're...), that means you have way more sales than 20, usually you should have absolutely no problem to pay the one time $95 for the 100CCU for a year (calculating with PUN - which is the easiest to implement among all, it's mature product, plenty of tutorials). Reaching 100CCU at any given time (if your players aren't in one time zone) is hard. If you make it work, then you won't have any problems paying for the next tier. You're using server infrastructure after all.

If you want completely free, use Epic Online Services, it is free for all, even for cross-play. The downside is that you have to do it yourself. No mature code examples for it, since it's a relatively new service.

Steam is free to use for steam users only AFAIK, so no cross-play.

vanshsneakatksqd likes this.
  7. vanshsneakatksqd

vanshsneakatksqd

Ok thanks a lot

8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

When you want to connect players on the internet, since everyone is behind a NAT router you need some accessible server somewhere on the internet to coordinate everything. Someone has to pay to keep that server running, which costs money.

The free 20 CCU for PUN 2 is subsidized by everyone who actually is paying, sort of a try before you buy system. With Steam you pay to add your game in the first place. With hosting your own server you're paying to rent the hardware itself. etc, etc. There's lots of free network code implementations, it is the server that typically costs money.

As far as Epic, I'd be skeptical that it will stay free for games which aren't on the Epic store in the long term. But hopefully I'm wrong.

unityunity