Search Unity

Multiplayer application using OVR libraries

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by MiaoBolverk, Jul 31, 2019.

1. MiaoBolverk

MiaoBolverk

If there is a better place for me to ask this question, please direct me there. My apologies in advance for the vague question, since I don't understand the problem well enough to ask in greater detail.

I want to create a multi-player Unity application using the Oculus SDK. Let's say there are two players in the scene, A and B. When player A presses a button using his index finger, the hand avatar for player B also displays a moving index finger. In short, hand movements for one player are also observed for the other. Controller inputs are also read without any ability to distinguish whether they originate from player A or B.

What are the possible approaches for eliminating this problem, if it is mandatory that I continue using Oculus SDK?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It is not mandatory. The Oculus SDK can certainly do this, though. Other solutions would be Photon, roll your own networking, etc.

3. VrDevDoug

VrDevDoug

Would mirror networking allow you to set up multiple OVR player controllers in a single scene so players could interact with each other ?

4. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Hey @VrDevDoug Looking at the Mirror Networking github, they appear to be a solution used by Population: One, which is a VR battle royale game. I personally don't have any experience with this solution, but with a quick glace, I would assume it's possible to achieve what you are looking for. They also have forums on their website, which might be able to assist you in your endeavor.