Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Multiplatform Runtime Level Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FreebordMAD, Jun 10, 2014.

1. TuncayCakmak

TuncayCakmak

Hi,

i have bought your asset just recently and have to say that it is a really amazing package.

I am struggling on a certain feature i would like to implement and hope you can give me some advices.

What i would like to achieve is that i can insert "Ball-Prefabs" with the Level Editor which have a "Trigger Cube" and a "Moving Point". I have a script attached on the Balls which handles the action - If Trigger Cube entered via player - move ball (this ball is a children of the main Ball Prefab) to moving point. The "Trigger Cube" and "Moving Point" are Children of my Ball prefabs also the movable ball is a children.

So what i would need to achieve is:
    1.) A own ObjectMap maybe called "Objects With Triggers and Moving Points" as an example. (I checked your documentation and created objectmaps as described. BTW i wrote you an Email and realised that your website and Email is down)
    2.) If one of these Objects are selected, a own GUI Window appear (like with objects with Color) , this GUI Windows allows you to select the Trigger Cube of the Object and the Moving Point of the Object (Both Children of the Object)
    3.) You can now place these Children in the level and if you Save and Load the Children are placed correctly

What i tried is that i implemented a small script.
    I tried to modify the Code just to test something in the File LE_ObjectEditHandle.cs:

I added this:

if (Input.GetKeyDown("u"))
    {
    m_target = m_target.GetChild(1);
    }

in line number 140

so i was able to move the position of the cap of the barrel for instance, but after i have saved the level, the cap was still on the barrel. I assume it just loaded the prefab on the barrel position with the variation of the cap and did not save the position of the cap. So i need to somehow also save the position, rotation and scales of the 3 Children (Movable Ball, Trigger Cube, Moving Point). What i probably need is to somehow add a property like Variation or Color which is maybe called "With Trigger" or something. So if a drag an object with this property, it opens a new GUI Window where i can select the 3 Children (Movable Ball, Trigger Cube, Moving Point) and modify their positions etc. and save it. So if i load the level, the Parent Ball Objects get placed but also the Children will placed properly with the saved position, rotation, scale data.

It would be really great if you have any idea how i can create easy to drag in and place Balls with a Trigger Cube and a Moving Point.

I am trying to go through your code and understand it but many things are quite new for me and any hint would save me a lot of time to achieve the system with dragable prefabs which have the possibility to move children objects and save the positions, rotations,scales of the children objects.

Thank you!!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  2. TonismoGames

TonismoGames

I would look into serialization asset or use Unity'ss JsonUtility. Then create a script to hold all the position of your child objects to be serialized into a separate file.

3. TuncayCakmak

TuncayCakmak

Thank you TonismoGames for your thoughts.

I just thought its better to use what i already have with the MRLE scripts. So maybe i can just add additional properties to the Save/Load functions of MRLE?

I have started to modify the LE_SaveLoad.cs, i have added this line for a first test:

p_stream.Write(p_object.TestString); // Test

in this function

private static void SaveLE_Object(BinaryWriter p_stream, LE_Object p_object)
    {

and this

[SerializeField]
    private string m_TestString = "xyTest";

public string TestString
    {
    get { return m_TestString; }
    set { m_TestString = value; }
    }

into LE_Object.cs

to somehow have the ability to save a string for the first test as an additional parameter to the objects. This is just to test everything and get a feeling for the code of MRLE. If i can modify the save load and save additional parameters in the the saved level file, dont you think it is a better way without writing new save and load scripts? As the next step i would try to clone the ideas of Objects with Colors/Variations to Objects with modifyable Children. So if you load a level, every Object with modifyable Children will have additional positions, rotations and scales for the Children and in the edit mode there will be a own GUI Windows to pick the Childrens you want to move around? Do you think this is a good way to go?

Best

4. TonismoGames

TonismoGames

I see the problem with modifying the LE API is that when the developer updates the asset ,you could run into errors. There is an OnLoad/OnSave event that already saves everything to binaries. What you can do is add additional script to collect all the childrens positions and rotation then serialize that to another file. Here is something I added without modifying LE API.
    upload_2021-11-24_14-6-28.png
    I created my own Runtime Editor script with these call backs registering on start.
    upload_2021-11-24_14-8-24.png
    When OnSave is called,I collect all the LE byte arrays locally then open up a file browser
    The file browser will return the path where I want to save the map file to
    You can get this free Simple File Browser on the Asset Store
    upload_2021-11-24_14-13-44.png
    I use a zipdotnet to save all of my objects into a single zip. You can just use File.WriteAllBytes() method instead
    The CustomMeshObject is a MonoBehavior script I made to holds all the positions and rotations and any extra data outside of what is supported by LE
    Serializer is an APi from Serialization on the Assets Store. You can use Unity JsonUtility instead.
    Reason I dont use JsonUtility is because it is not thread safe and I save everything using another thread.
    JsonUtility is a lot easier to use though,it can serialize anything.
    To load,you can just do the opposite

5. Neurolog

Neurolog

First off this is a phenomenal asset. Been very happy with the asset and the few changes I've been able to make so far.

I am interested in click to place as well- in particular I'd like to have users click the item in the UI, the preview show up on the mouse without holding the mouse button down, then the user can either click to single place or click and drag to place multiple instances in a grid (using the 3d grid snap placement).

For example, if they draw a 3x3 grid box, it places 9 of the prefab in the grid. Reading the implementation of placeobject and updatenewobjectdraganddrop, I can't seem to find where it is being told to place on mouse button release, or where it is showing the preview only while the mouse button is held. Any advice on how to tackle such a modification or where to find those aspects? I'll keep looking through the documentation in the interim. Thanks!

6. dmenefee

dmenefee

Hello. The website with docs and demos appears to be down with a database error.

7. TuncayCakmak

TuncayCakmak

Thank you so much! I will go through your advices and let you know how far i came. Best

8. Zenithin

Zenithin

Get the online link up! Website is down how do I read docs!!

9. TonismoGames

TonismoGames

There is offline doc in the asset

dmenefee likes this.
  10. TonismoGames

TonismoGames

You can implement this yourself through another script or use third party asset for grid instancing. You just have to add LE_Object component to objects being spawned.

11. Neurolog

Neurolog

Took a little messing around but got it up and running. Thanks!

12. TuncayCakmak

TuncayCakmak

Hi all,

just a short question. How can i start a level via a button without opening the editor. Lets say i have made a level called "Level1". I would now like to just start Level1 from a scene which is not the Editor itself.

Note: I have installed the save load file extension package.

I understand that it has to do something with this line in ExampleGame_Game.cs:
    LE_ExtensionInterface.Load.Delegate(this, (byte[][] p_levelData)=>

How can i write a new script which just loads a scene called "Game"
    And sends to this (LE_ExtensionInterface.Load.Delegate(this, (byte[][] p_levelData)=>)
    The Level file name "Level1"

Thank you
    Best

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  13. TonismoGames

TonismoGames

upload_2021-12-5_17-0-48.png
    In your script Start method, subscribe to these events.
    upload_2021-12-5_17-3-8.png
    Your OnLoad callback has the LoadEvent.LoadLevelDataFromBytesCallback(byte[] mapdata)
    method to load your map.
    To trigger the OnLoad event, you can add a button and the LE_GUIInterface Component then call the
    OnLevelLoadBtn method.
    upload_2021-12-5_17-10-19.png

14. Neurolog

Neurolog

Just a quick question- may not be possible. I integrated GeNa with the level editor and it is working great. Can spawn houses with terrain decorator and make some quick, detailed, beautiful results.

Only issue I've run into is that the assets I'm using have materials randomly picked at instantiation from GeNa (example different colored roofs, fall vs spring trees, etc), but the way SaveLoad works after load it loads up the prefab with the default name and only the material on that prefab in the resources file. Is it possible to save the material applied to a prefab and apply it back at load?

If not, I can probably just add more prefabs to resources each with the appropriate materials and rename them throughout the GeNa spawners depending on the materials, just will take a while and be a bit cumbersome/increase required memory. Thanks again!

15. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

You wrote in Nov that is great news, so it is unlikely log4j... My server is going totally crazy... Sorry I missed all the messages here and will check them up in the next days.

16. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Answers might be obsolete, since you solved the problems already, nevertheless, here is some input, let me know if it helps.

There are two ways.
    Mata Data
    Check this article: http://www.freebord-game.com/.../add-meta-data
    You can save a string representation of your applied material for each object while the level is being saved and then restore it as you need it while loading. You can use LE_Object.UID to identify your objects.

REPLACE_MATERIALS
    You can use LE_Object.Variation. Just search for 'variations' in this article: http://www.freebord-game.com/.../level-objects
    You can setup the materials as you need them in one prefab, the player can freely choose those and the selection is saved and loaded. You could as well update which variation is active in your automated variation selection.

Don't hesitate to revert if I need to go into more details.
    P.S.: I'm glad you got the drag n' drop changed to what you need on your own.

@TonismoGames , @TuncayCakmak
    To load a specific level you could do the following:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // get level .txt file from folder and play it            LE_ExtensionInterface.FileSelectionInstance.ReloadLevelName = [path to txt level file];
    2. SceneManager.LoadScene("LE_ExampleGame");
    Don't hesitate to revert if I need to go into more details.
    P.S.: I assume you guys did figure out all challenges on your own? If not what is left?

17. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Does it work if you build for PC or any other platform?
    Are all scenes included in the build config?
    There is an invisible collider in the editor example scene, is this still in place?
    Does it not work even if you are clearly hovering a terrain or another object?
    Does it work if you use Unity remote to simulate touches?

18. Blan3X1

Blan3X1

hello i created a new LE object following every instruction from your documentation but when i used that on runtime it destroyed other objects and save file was acting weird.This is the error i got can you help please

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    LE_LevelEditor.Core.LE_SaveLoad.LoadLE_Object_V3 (System.Boolean p_isInEditor, System.IO.BinaryReader p_stream, LE_LevelEditor.UI.LE_GUI3dObject p_gui3d) (at Assets/LapinerTools/LevelEditor/Scripts/Core/LE_SaveLoad.cs:676)
    LE_LevelEditor.Core.LE_SaveLoad.LoadLevelDataFromByteArray (System.Byte[] p_byteArray, System.Int32 p_terrainLayer, UnityEngine.Texture2D[] p_terrainTextures, UnityEngine.Vector2[] p_terrainTextureSizes, UnityEngine.Vector2[] p_terrainTextureOffsets) (at Assets/LapinerTools/LevelEditor/Scripts/Core/LE_SaveLoad.cs:296)
    LE_LevelEditor.Example.ExampleGame_Game.<Start>b__3_0 (System.Byte[][] p_levelData) (at Assets/LapinerTools/LevelEditor/Example/Scripts/ExampleGame_Game.cs:35)
    LE_LevelEditor.Example.ExampleGame_LoadSave.LoadFromStr (System.String p_savedLevelStr, System.Action`1[T] p_onLoaded) (at Assets/LapinerTools/LevelEditor/Example/Scripts/ExampleGame_LoadSave.cs:158)
    LE_LevelEditor.Example.ExampleGame_LoadSave+<LoadRoutineByFilePath>d__5.MoveNext () (at Assets/LapinerTools/LevelEditor/Example/Scripts/ExampleGame_LoadSave.cs:132)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <028e4d71153d4ed5ac6bee0dfc08aa3b>:0)

This only happens when i add the custom LE object made by me :(

19. Haimey07

Haimey07

Hello, I've just bought your asset and tried it in an urp project unity 2020.3, it's working fine but as There's no projector component. I can't project the terrain edit brush.
    What would you advice me to fix this? Thank you

20. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Looking at the code, the LE_Object component is not attached to the root of your Resources object. Can you please bring it to the root of the prefab or send some screenshots of how your object is configured and where it is in the project?

Currently the MRLE doesn't support the newest Unity URP pipeline. There are a few alternatives on how to recreate a projector in URP. Also in the very resent releases URP should come with a build-in projector.

21. Zenithin

Zenithin

Hey ! Can you please suggest how can we proceed to allow players to import fbx or gltf files from their system or web urls.

22. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

The problem here is more the saving than importing. What you would need after the import is also a way to serialize data of the model. I never used this tool, but if I remember right I heard it can do it, just as an example plugin:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/modeling/trilib-2-model-loading-package-157548
    (You can google or ask them on their support channels if it works on runtime)

23. TonismoGames

TonismoGames

Hi,
    I found a bug with snap to object. I am making a large road snapping object. The issue is the snap icon is too small even when I set the icon scale to a higher value.
    upload_2022-4-1_2-52-44.png
    Another issue is when snap icon is clicked and fhe object is large, there is a render error.
    upload_2022-4-1_2-54-17.png
    I hope you can fix this bug or give me an idea what script I should be looking at to change it. Thank You for the awesome asset!

24. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Really nice and clean dark UI that you have created ;)

Any chance you can send me some files to reproduce this, the scale is a parameter that you should be able to set, see doc below. Not seeing a preview at all seems strange, maybe you can make me a little package only with the LE_Object that you have used and at least the mesh - if you send please via PM.

All the preview logic is handled here: S_SnapToObject
    All the parameters like scaling is setup here: S_SnapToObjectPrefab

For big objects you should modify the Preview Scale to make it work:
    http://www.freebord-game.com/index....time-level-editor/documentation/level-objects
    upload_2022-4-1_9-25-28.png

Reading this in an Asset Store Review would be amazingly cool!

25. TonismoGames

TonismoGames

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  26. TonismoGames

TonismoGames

upload_2022-4-2_4-51-27.png I disabled the built in UI option then changed scale and rotation. Everything looking good now except the super tiny Anchor point button. Perhaps there should be an custom icon and scale option for the anchor button. That would be awesome!

27. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

So it seems your world is much bigger and the snap buttons should be bigger as well, to do that scale the particle size in the snap button effect, which is in the ObjectSnapButtonVisuals prefab. You could as well make the button size adapt to your object by modifying the LE_ObjectSnapPoint.InstatiateSnapSystem method as it could get the particle system and apply the scaling. The ObjectSnapButtonVisuals prefab instance is in the p_buttonVisuals parameter.
    upload_2022-4-2_11-17-16.png

Also you road is rotated wrong, so that you actually don't see it because of back culling to fix that use these parametetrs instead:
    upload_2022-4-2_11-20-38.png

If you want to adjust the preview further, you could, e.g. make a more fitting background via the S_SnapToObjectPreview class, e.g. you could rearrange the circle around the preview here:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private void CreateUIObject()
    2.         {
    3.             GameObject uiGO = new GameObject("S_SnapToObjectPreview UI");
    4.             uiGO.transform.parent = transform;
    5.             uiGO.transform.localPosition = Vector3.zero;
    6.             uiGO.transform.localRotation = Quaternion.identity;
    7.             uiGO.transform.localScale = Vector3.one;
    8.             m_uiMesh = new Mesh();
    9.             uiGO.AddComponent<MeshFilter>().mesh = m_uiMesh;
    10.             MeshRenderer renderer = uiGO.AddComponent<MeshRenderer>();
    11.             renderer.sharedMaterials = new Material[]{m_uiMaterialFill, m_uiMaterialLine};
    12.         }
    You could also replace the button visuals all together, by changing the ObjectSnapButtonVisuals prefab to something else.

For me it now looks like below:
    upload_2022-4-2_11-21-46.png
    upload_2022-4-2_11-21-35.png
    upload_2022-4-2_11-22-18.png

28. TonismoGames

TonismoGames

Thank you for your guide! Your codes are well written and easy to understand. I was able to make a small change. I bought this asset 4 years ago and rated it 5 stars. I have just recently implemented it to my project.
    upload_2022-4-2_5-55-54.png
    upload_2022-4-2_5-55-2.png
    upload_2022-4-2_5-56-39.png
    upload_2022-4-2_5-57-12.png

FreebordMAD likes this.
  29. Ony

Ony

I'm in the process of converting this to work with VR, and so far so good. I've got a custom UI in and working nicely, but dragging and dropping objects isn't working. I'm going to look into the input scripts to see about fixing that, but... If anyone has done a VR conversion and wouldn't mind sharing a few tips, I'm all ears. Thanks!

30. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

There were a few people doing VR ports if you scroll in this thread, maybe you write them a PM. I'm sure not everybody has this thread on their watch list. Here is an example:
    https://forum.unity.com/posts/2947363/

Ony likes this.
  31. dmenefee

dmenefee

Hello! I could not find info on how to customize the RLD library UI. I had thought that I could just do so in the scene, but there seems to be a problem with initialization if I do. I had substituted some UI elements, and noticed that the RLD library could not keep a reference to the UI any more. Consequently, at runtime the UI remained empty and the library had no connection to it. This was even though I repeatedly pushed the 'create UI' button in the inspector and saved the scene. So... any guidance? Should I just create my own copy of the prefab and place it in my own Resources directory? If so, how does the library find it if it's got the same name as your default prefab? Inquiring minds etc. Thanks!

32. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

I'm not 100% sure if I understand the problem. Could you maybe post some screenshots?

Also this doc might be what you are searching for - starting from step 3.
    http://www.freebord-game.com/index....time-level-editor/documentation/level-objects

33. dmenefee

dmenefee

I'm away from the dev machine at the moment, but basically what I want to do is change the look of the library UI elements, such as the background of the drop-down list button, the background for the library box, etc. I'm using a UI graphics asset and want all the game UI to be consistent in appearance. I don't need to alter any functionality; I've got that working very well. Thanks!

34. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

In this case this documentation describes how it would work.
    http://www.freebord-game.com/index.php/multiplatform-runtime-level-editor/documentation/custom-ui
    If this doesn't help I suggest you record a short video of you changing one element and showing what doesn't work after.

dmenefee likes this.
  35. vagelis199

vagelis199

In HDRP seems like the gizmo, arrows do not render but are functional

Any fix for this? or where is located in the code so I can fix it.

36. vagelis199

vagelis199

I fixed it, it's just a shader problem :)

FreebordMAD likes this.
  37. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Awesome good to hear

38. vagelis199

vagelis199

I have a problem with "snapping to object" objects I create, the ones from the demo work like intended by when I try to make a snappable object when I press the + sign and tap on the object, it spawns in the wrong position not where the snap point is any idea what I'm doing wrong?

39. vagelis199

vagelis199

Okay I also resolved this, apparently, if the prefab position is not at 0,0,0 mine was something like 700,0,800, snapping object spawn at that position instead

FreebordMAD likes this.
  40. vagelis199

vagelis199

Any way to smooth the whole terrain in runtime? I need to smooth the terrain data when playing the level to avoid junky physics. like right after loading the level also smooth it.

41. vagelis199

vagelis199

Code (CSharp):
    1. LE_TerrainManager.SmoothHeight(1f, 5, SmoothTexture, 1, new Vector2(0.5f, 0.5f), false, 90);
    This seems to work so far.

FreebordMAD likes this.
  42. mathi4975

mathi4975

Hi, Recently I bought this asset and developing for the curriculum where students build the scenario to visualise the environment. I am unfamiliar with some aspects and need some guidance.
    1. How can I change the Skybox when the user play to visualise the creation.
    2. How to add RECT Tool in the editor to give more tools to modify the 3D shapes.
    3. How to add UI like timer, time, name when the user play after creating the environment.

Thanks alot for the help.

43. mathi4975

mathi4975

Hi, I have managed to find and do it. I need another big help please. I have build the project to webgl and ise itch.io to launch it. However, all works fine but the load level does not work if I close the browser and open again. Could someone help pls. Thanks alot.

FreebordMAD likes this.
  44. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

What exactly is the issue?
    Saving the level in browser should save it to your clipboard (like CTRL+V), loading it afterwards is the same, reading what is in your clipboard (like CTRL+C)

45. mathi4975

mathi4975

In webGL (launch via itch.io), I save and close the URL. Then I open the URL to load the last saved file. But it says there is no file saved. Thanks.

46. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Far too late too reply, sorry. I hope you figured it out already... are you maybe using the file saving plug in - it doesn't work from webGL.

47. unity_35Aos03AaHGrug

unity_35Aos03AaHGrug

Hello, do you have an example working with a database instead a file? I saved the file to a table, but I'm having problems to load it, how do you make it work in web without files? thanks!

48. unity_35Aos03AaHGrug

unity_35Aos03AaHGrug

hello, can you please add an example of how load a scene with the saved information in a external database? I can get the string and split by #, but I'm getting tons of errors and can't make it works

49. FreebordMAD

FreebordMAD

Hi there, could you please be more precise.
    • which database, are you uploading to a web server or to a local database?
    • which errors are you getting?

50. unity_35Aos03AaHGrug

unity_35Aos03AaHGrug

Hi, I want to show different objects for each user depending on quests and other objetives, is there a way to create LE_OBJECTS on runtime? I work for a kids academy, we want to show more content if the kids complete lessons for example, but I can't find a way to do it, can you please help me? thanks!